Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do Liars Like Lance Armstrong & Manti T'eo Deserve Our Forgiveness?

Posted by   + Show Post

Liars Like Lance Armstrong & Manti T'eo Deserve Our Forgiveness

Posted by Maressa Brown on January 19, 2013

lance armstrong and oprahEvery minute it seems, we're finding out another prominent person in the news lied (or cheated) in some way, shape, or form. Manti T'eo and Lance Armstrong just happen to be the two most recent ... And every time it happens, it seems like our general reaction is basically the same: "How could he?!" We're shocked, dismayed, and swiftly ready to write the person off as a bad egg forever. But maybe it shouldn't necessarily be that way. Maybe we're being too quick to judge.

See, while watching the Lance Armstrong-Oprah interview yesterday, I kept thinking that while he was totally coming off like a schumuck who reeeeally screwed up and tarnished his squeaky-clean, do-gooder rep, I could also understand why he did what he did.

I wouldn't go so far as to say as I feel sympathy for the guy, but it just seemed like he lied for many reasons ... One of them is because he was so immersed in a culture of deceit. He kept using the word "generation" to explain to Oprah how he wasn't alone. Not in a cowardly, finger-pointing way, but in a way that makes you take a step back and realize he wasn't alone in deceiving us all. Doping was a generally accepted trend in his world. What riders did (and lied about) to be successful. And once he figured he could get away with it, and everyone else was getting away with it, he just kept "riding out" the lie ... for better or worse.

Similarly, we don't know all the exact details behind the Manti T'eo mess, but it seems like the guy lied because he got swept up in the fable. Couldn't face the consequence of the truth coming out. (Not that that fear prevented it from happening!)

And really, who hasn't been in a situation like that? Even if it was a little white lie you told once, we've all been scared silly to admit the truth at one time or another ... So how can we judge these guys so harshly for doing the same very human thing -- that happened to unfold in front of cameras and entire country?

The way I see it -- it boils down to them just being flawed in a regretable but deeply human way. So the humane thing to do is to consider forgiveness.

How do you feel about Lance and Manti's lies? Do you think you could "forgive" either man?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
TashaB82
by Tootie on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Their situations are totally different. Manti was prob just embarrassed, which is why he didn't come clean sooner. Shoot,I would have been too. But lance was dead wrong with the way he threatened people and bullied them. Everyone deserves second chances, in my opinion but lance had a lot of work to do!

0Kit0
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:08 PM
People make mistakes and they have sanctions for that. On an individual level,who aee we to be passing judgement in the first place? They are learning lessons for our children,that is all. Remember what they eat won't make us shit!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WithHope
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM
I don't feel sorry for Lance Armstrong, but I feel a lot of sympathy for his charitable foundation. While I think his reputation is rightfully tarnished I think it is very unfortunate that through association the Livestrong foundation also is now tarnished. His personal short comings doesn't change the fact that he started and financed a good organization.
ididntdoit111
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Yup. Everyone deserves forgiveness. Except rapists and chimos. I could care less if I get bashed for that. They do not deserve forgivness.

GypsyMom2012
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Yes. They may be in the limelight but that doesn't mean they aren't still human. Many times when a person gets caught up in a little lie, it happens that to cover it requires another lie, and another and another until they don't know what the truth is... I was caught up in this when I was much younger but once I realized what I was doing to not only myself but my family, I pulled my big girl panties up and fessed up. (I was in high school) I do believe that these men deserve to be forgiven, if for no other reason than to let them know that we all make mistakes. Some make bigger mistakes than others but they are still that. Drugs? My older brother was a Meth addict for many many years and did many stupid things. But he has been clean for 10 years now. I have forgiven him and I expect that at this point, if someone doesn't want to forgive him for his past indiscretions, fuck em. 

Besides, it isn't for us to forgive these men for their lies. That is for their families and friends to do, if it is even necessary. That footballer was getting scammed and wanted to save face. I guarantee you, most of you have done worse. (If you get defensive, you have proven my point) As for cyclist, he has a much harder road to travel with drug addiction being present in his life. He has lost his career, his respect, most likely his endorsments, and what about his family life? Hopefully, something good will come of these men taking the high road and coming clean. 

JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM
We all make mistakes, some bigger than others. Everyone deserves forgiveness
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
embersparkle
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Should they be forgiven ? Of course. Lance Armstrong is an ass though. I hope he faces some sort of legal repercussions for all of this.
GypsyMom2012
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Whats a Chimo?

Quoting ididntdoit111:

Yup. Everyone deserves forgiveness. Except rapists and chimos. I could care less if I get bashed for that. They do not deserve forgivness.

MomLife16
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM
I don't know about other people but I'm know I would be scared to death to get on television and tell the world my mistakes and apologize for them. It takes a big person to do that and I think people should take a step into his shoes.
ididntdoit111
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Quoting GypsyMom2012:

Whats a Chimo?

Quoting ididntdoit111:

A chimo is a child molester. Lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)