Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do Liars Like Lance Armstrong & Manti T'eo Deserve Our Forgiveness?

Posted by   + Show Post

Liars Like Lance Armstrong & Manti T'eo Deserve Our Forgiveness

Posted by Maressa Brown on January 19, 2013

lance armstrong and oprahEvery minute it seems, we're finding out another prominent person in the news lied (or cheated) in some way, shape, or form. Manti T'eo and Lance Armstrong just happen to be the two most recent ... And every time it happens, it seems like our general reaction is basically the same: "How could he?!" We're shocked, dismayed, and swiftly ready to write the person off as a bad egg forever. But maybe it shouldn't necessarily be that way. Maybe we're being too quick to judge.

See, while watching the Lance Armstrong-Oprah interview yesterday, I kept thinking that while he was totally coming off like a schumuck who reeeeally screwed up and tarnished his squeaky-clean, do-gooder rep, I could also understand why he did what he did.

I wouldn't go so far as to say as I feel sympathy for the guy, but it just seemed like he lied for many reasons ... One of them is because he was so immersed in a culture of deceit. He kept using the word "generation" to explain to Oprah how he wasn't alone. Not in a cowardly, finger-pointing way, but in a way that makes you take a step back and realize he wasn't alone in deceiving us all. Doping was a generally accepted trend in his world. What riders did (and lied about) to be successful. And once he figured he could get away with it, and everyone else was getting away with it, he just kept "riding out" the lie ... for better or worse.

Similarly, we don't know all the exact details behind the Manti T'eo mess, but it seems like the guy lied because he got swept up in the fable. Couldn't face the consequence of the truth coming out. (Not that that fear prevented it from happening!)

And really, who hasn't been in a situation like that? Even if it was a little white lie you told once, we've all been scared silly to admit the truth at one time or another ... So how can we judge these guys so harshly for doing the same very human thing -- that happened to unfold in front of cameras and entire country?

The way I see it -- it boils down to them just being flawed in a regretable but deeply human way. So the humane thing to do is to consider forgiveness.

How do you feel about Lance and Manti's lies? Do you think you could "forgive" either man?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Replies (21-30):
mcwife86
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM

i personally don't care. these two have zero direct affect on my life and so my forgiveness need not be earned or given. meanwhile..in the world elsewhere...real stuff we should be focused on is going on.

GypsyMom2012
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Ah, yea, I agree with you... Rapists, murders, chimos, degenerates with no hope of changing... 

Quoting ididntdoit111:

Quoting GypsyMom2012:

Whats a Chimo?

Quoting ididntdoit111:

Yup. Everyone deserves forgiveness. Except rapists and chimos. I could care less if I get bashed for that. They do not deserve forgivness.

A chimo is a child molester. Lol!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM

They aren't related. There is no reason to have the 2 of them even categorized together. Two completely different circumstances.

Shame on You CM !!!

This post needs to be edited and have Manti removed from the subject matter.

Quoting Cheribomb:

I don't see how they are related?  i feel bad for  that kid who was duped by his so called friends.  Lance armstrong is a manipulative bully & should go to jail!  marion jones went to jail for doing the same thing!  

lowencope
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Idk it's better to tell the truth then never tell the truth. I guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:44 PM
You can always forgive but never forget.
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I don't think manti was lying :-(
I think he really didn't know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM
At least lance had the ball to admit it.
tossed
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I think the Teo and Lance situations are totally different. Frankly, I am not sure how anyone could have really believed that Armstrong did not do things that were banned. Teo is young and got caught up in something and just did not know how to extricate himself. I don't see a financial reward for him and he may have hurt himself in the upcoming NFL draft. Armstrong...I don't really care enough to consider the issue of forgiveness. He is in for a world of civil suits now, so I actually have some sympathy. I don't think the sponsors should get back all of their money because they made a mint off of him. 

Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Does what he did there completely negate all the good he has done?

This man lied about bicycling. But he has helped thousands of people with testicular cancer. When my old fiance wanted to give up on his treatments and throw in the towel, Lance Armstrong's story is what pushed him through.

I think the good outweighs the bad in this case.

Quoting tifbrown:

Armstrong pisses me off. He ruined peoples lives. And, now that he has come clean we are supposed to see him as a hero? Ya fucking right. Manti, I haven't heard the latest update on, I'll check out tmz after this, but I feel bad for him. If he really didn't know all along, then I do feel bad. He got duped and when he found out was embarrassed and didn't know what to do. Whoever is behind that is a sick individual to go that far and that deep with it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I would not put Lance and Manti in the same boat first of all.  I do believe Manti was duped by the internet girlfriend because some folks do have internet relationships (not saying all folks lie on the internet) but I also think he was ashame to say he had a girlfriend he never met to his parents.  I guess my best example of folks being duped is that true life movie/case Tallhotblonde.  Secondly, what Lance did was not only lie, he screwed over others who was doing the same thing he was.  He does not need to be forgiven.  And in fact, Lance is acting like, imo, as if he didn't do it but some evil version of himself did those things.  that is a problem to me. Manti to be deserves it, Lance not so.  And even though you didn't ask, I don't think this is the same as Tiger Woods. Yes, he cheated on his wife, not his teammates or the sport.  He didn't ruin golf, like Lance has ruined cycling. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN