Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do Liars Like Lance Armstrong & Manti T'eo Deserve Our Forgiveness?

Posted by   + Show Post

Liars Like Lance Armstrong & Manti T'eo Deserve Our Forgiveness

Posted by Maressa Brown on January 19, 2013

lance armstrong and oprahEvery minute it seems, we're finding out another prominent person in the news lied (or cheated) in some way, shape, or form. Manti T'eo and Lance Armstrong just happen to be the two most recent ... And every time it happens, it seems like our general reaction is basically the same: "How could he?!" We're shocked, dismayed, and swiftly ready to write the person off as a bad egg forever. But maybe it shouldn't necessarily be that way. Maybe we're being too quick to judge.

See, while watching the Lance Armstrong-Oprah interview yesterday, I kept thinking that while he was totally coming off like a schumuck who reeeeally screwed up and tarnished his squeaky-clean, do-gooder rep, I could also understand why he did what he did.

I wouldn't go so far as to say as I feel sympathy for the guy, but it just seemed like he lied for many reasons ... One of them is because he was so immersed in a culture of deceit. He kept using the word "generation" to explain to Oprah how he wasn't alone. Not in a cowardly, finger-pointing way, but in a way that makes you take a step back and realize he wasn't alone in deceiving us all. Doping was a generally accepted trend in his world. What riders did (and lied about) to be successful. And once he figured he could get away with it, and everyone else was getting away with it, he just kept "riding out" the lie ... for better or worse.

Similarly, we don't know all the exact details behind the Manti T'eo mess, but it seems like the guy lied because he got swept up in the fable. Couldn't face the consequence of the truth coming out. (Not that that fear prevented it from happening!)

And really, who hasn't been in a situation like that? Even if it was a little white lie you told once, we've all been scared silly to admit the truth at one time or another ... So how can we judge these guys so harshly for doing the same very human thing -- that happened to unfold in front of cameras and entire country?

The way I see it -- it boils down to them just being flawed in a regretable but deeply human way. So the humane thing to do is to consider forgiveness.

How do you feel about Lance and Manti's lies? Do you think you could "forgive" either man?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Everyone lies at some point for whatever reason. I know he took it to extreme but I don't know him personally and don't know why he did it other then the obvious. I never held any anger toward him so forgiveness isn't needed. The other dude I just want to hug he's humiliated and I really think he had no idea.
JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:18 PM

um, no. lance armstrong didnt do anything to me so why would i forgive him? armstrong may have cheated but he did alot of good things for the sport (which few knew about or cared about before armstrong) and did even better things to raise money and awareness on the cancer front. als o idont see how manti did anything wrong, i really dont think her knew.

1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM
The two are not on the same level, but I can forgive them. It didn't harm me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Danyell9301
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Neither of them are anything to my family or my way of life. My children and I never really followed the career of Lance. It was always interesting that he managed to win that many back to back. My girls and I have discussed the posibility of him using something to help him with his cancer. For Him to come clean now, that he wants his children to know the whole truth. It is a sad end to an career.

From what is being reported his charity is getting more money now, then before, because he has come clean.

From the reports this weekend Manti' friends are involved in this too. Not sure how much he really knows. If he was really a victim, then it will shed some light on this kind of thing for the world. If he was part of it or knew about it at some later date, then he should have told the truth then. 

They will both have to ask for forgiveness from the people that were hurt or these things affected them. As for me and mine, there is nothing to forgive, only a life lesson for us all.

Don't put all your faith in just on human being. Know that human might screw up at some point in thier lives. Don't follow and make the same mistakes.

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Everyone does.  Although the two really can not compare.  Out of the two, Lance is the only one who should really apologize (if I have heard everything right about T'eo, that is.)
    That said, I certainly can forgive him.  But that is easy for me.  It is the people that he hurt, his charity, and those he inspired that he should have to answer to. 
  But I think that his confession was a good start. I see people calling in to question his motivations for doing so...at this point, I do't care about that.  The fact that he did confess, to me, is all that matters.  He could have continued to deny it...he chose not to.  
    I think that he can make amends by throwing himself into supporting cancer research.  I think he should take time to reach out to those he hurt and personally apologize to the best of his ability.  I think that he can use his mistake as a lesson to kids that want to be athletes.  At the risk of being corny, he could do a PSA, or even go to schools or athletic conventions for young athletes and say "look, I cheated.  I screwed up. And I was wrong.  THIS is what happens when you cheat."  
    I also think that he should, in good faith, hand over in both image and on paper, his charity to someone else.  Someone central to the charity, someone that may have even been hurt by his actions.  I think that this is going to humble him. I think it already has.  I think that stepping out every day now is not going to be easy, because there are a lot of people who are going to hate him.  But I also think that is why he needs to still be a voice against cancer.  
   It would be much easier for him to just be a silent supporter of cancer research.  Easy to hide, and not have to face everyone.  But I think if he doesn't hide, despite what he has coming to him from the public, it may eventually show people that he is sorry.  That despite his poor choices, he still wants to do some good in the world.  Maybe I'm just being naive or silly. But despite all that he is done, I still think he's a good person....just a good persont hat caught up in some bad choices.  Good people can make massively bad decisions too. It happens to the best, and worst of us all.

He has  A LOT he is going to have to make up for, and do to fix everything.  But I think he can, IF we give him the chance. And I think we should.  

We all deserve a second chance...let this be his. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I forgive Lance but not the other loser.

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this is ridiculous. He took enhancement drugs. He admitted it, had his medals taken away. Why send him to jail?

Get over it people

haydsmom2007
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly could not give 2 shits.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I.have no.idea what happened.....

Steps out the rock I'm under
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I don't really understand or been following the football players story, Lance is just a dumb ass who cares what he wants or needs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN