Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do Liars Like Lance Armstrong & Manti T'eo Deserve Our Forgiveness?

Posted by   + Show Post

Liars Like Lance Armstrong & Manti T'eo Deserve Our Forgiveness

Posted by Maressa Brown on January 19, 2013

lance armstrong and oprahEvery minute it seems, we're finding out another prominent person in the news lied (or cheated) in some way, shape, or form. Manti T'eo and Lance Armstrong just happen to be the two most recent ... And every time it happens, it seems like our general reaction is basically the same: "How could he?!" We're shocked, dismayed, and swiftly ready to write the person off as a bad egg forever. But maybe it shouldn't necessarily be that way. Maybe we're being too quick to judge.

See, while watching the Lance Armstrong-Oprah interview yesterday, I kept thinking that while he was totally coming off like a schumuck who reeeeally screwed up and tarnished his squeaky-clean, do-gooder rep, I could also understand why he did what he did.

I wouldn't go so far as to say as I feel sympathy for the guy, but it just seemed like he lied for many reasons ... One of them is because he was so immersed in a culture of deceit. He kept using the word "generation" to explain to Oprah how he wasn't alone. Not in a cowardly, finger-pointing way, but in a way that makes you take a step back and realize he wasn't alone in deceiving us all. Doping was a generally accepted trend in his world. What riders did (and lied about) to be successful. And once he figured he could get away with it, and everyone else was getting away with it, he just kept "riding out" the lie ... for better or worse.

Similarly, we don't know all the exact details behind the Manti T'eo mess, but it seems like the guy lied because he got swept up in the fable. Couldn't face the consequence of the truth coming out. (Not that that fear prevented it from happening!)

And really, who hasn't been in a situation like that? Even if it was a little white lie you told once, we've all been scared silly to admit the truth at one time or another ... So how can we judge these guys so harshly for doing the same very human thing -- that happened to unfold in front of cameras and entire country?

The way I see it -- it boils down to them just being flawed in a regretable but deeply human way. So the humane thing to do is to consider forgiveness.

How do you feel about Lance and Manti's lies? Do you think you could "forgive" either man?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Replies (81-90):
Destiny907
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM

hahaha I laugh over the Manti thing- he's just a pathological liar, just a bit nuts....  attention seeker...

The other guy, lance, now HE was snaky.

And the Manti guy WHO CARES what stories he wants to tell of an imaginary girlfriend?  seriously, who CARES?

muzzyh
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I couldn't give a rat either way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Armstrong is a pos and doesn't even seem remorseful
TairyHesticle
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I could care less what celebrities lie about. I don't know them, no need for me to forgive or not to forgive.

SeamusNBaby
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM

QTMom2302
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Manti Te'o didn't lie about his gf. He honestly didn't know she wasn't real. His friend admitted to making her up and getting him to fall in love w/ this fake girl. He was the victim in that situation and honestly he doesn't need to explain himself to the public. The only one that should be doing any explaining would be the friend that made her up.

wulfeyes05
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM
“We are all mistaken sometimes; sometimes we do wrong things, things that have bad consequences. But it does not mean we are evil, or that we cannot be trusted ever afterward.”
― Alison Croggon
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Wait wait what did teo lie about? Didn't he get hoaxed?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
teresanteens
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM

YES,FORGIVE, I DON'T THROW STONES AT ANYONE

lizzyluvsmoe
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:40 PM

why would I need to forgive them? I'm not GOD

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN