Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Feeding 4 on $400 a month?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 69 Replies
I have a budget of $400 a month for groceries to feed myself, my 15 & 14 year old boys (who are 6'2" and active in sports) and my 8 year old daughter. We dont eat out, and im a great cook but meals have an hour or less to be prepared. How would you feed your family filling, healthy meals and snacks on $400 a month?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Potatoes
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I'd go to the store and buy food. That's more than enough money for four people.
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
You can save a ton growing your own veggies and herbs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Very very carefully. Buy the staples. No munchies. You can make your own cakes and cookies from scratch cheaper.

The biggest portion of your budget will go toward meats. Does your Dh hunt? If he does that would help out a lot. Or perhaps if your friends hunt ask them if you can make an arrangement for meat.

Growing your own veggies and herbs. Even if you have limited space you can grow some things in pots.

mcwife86
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM

i could do it. we spend more than that a month for three but if i had to i could get by on 200.00 every two weeks. id buy a coupe of whole chickens, some bags of tilapia, rice, pasta, sauces, and a ton of different spices and vegetables ( fresh for the first week froze for the second).

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM
4 moms liked this
crock pot is your friend

you can make rotisserie style chicken in a crock pot by setting it on wads of foil and giving a spice rub. Cook it for 8 hours on low. You will get at least one meal from that with leftovers for topping a salad for lunch or making a couple of stuffed pitas for school. Then take the carcass and simmer that with water, onion, garlic, and peppercorns to make your own stock for cooking rice.

Ham can also be cooked in a crock pot and then you could make ham and bean soup or scallopped potatoes with ham or ham and swiss quiche

Veggie dinner at least once a week. Something fast like bean and cheese tacos with spanish rice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I couldn't do it but going meatless a few times a week will help stretch your dollar.

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:13 PM

shit thats easy, you just have to know where and how to shop.

GypsyMom2012
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I like to get to the grocery store early in the week (mon or tues) because that is when the meats go on special. For example, I found a pack of boneless lean-cut flank steaks - normally 1lb is around $9 - and this package had 6lbs of meat in it... I got it for $8.50 (-/+), OMG... I took it home, immediately seperated the cuts and froze the ones we weren't going to eat in the next 2 days. I do not buy chicken like that but thankfully, the store I go to keeps their chicken costs down. We generally don't eat pork or any other "exotic" meats so we are generally safe. During the spring to fall seasons, my bf brings home a lot of fish he catches from the rivers and lakes here in Utah and we eat quite a bit of that. His fishing licenses cost us $24 for the first pole and $12 for the second pole license and they are good year round. 

As for the other food groups, Costco and Sams Club are both great for buying in bulk. If you have the space you can stock up on dehydrated potatoes, rice, beans, and other non-perishables. It is easier to get 2 - 4 gallons of milk there too, their prices are quite a bit lower than the regular grocery stores. 

I don't know where you are but Kroger grocery stores (Smiths, Fred Meyers, Ralphs, etc) usually have a 10 for $10 deal... If your athletes use sports drinks, this is the perfect time to stock up. 

Also, try using coupons, specials, enter give-aways (i prefer the free ones) and if you can, garden during the non winter time... 

I hope this helps. 

JadeStorm
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM

One thing I learned, from scratch is TONS cheaper than boxed. You get way more for your money

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)