Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How much do you spend on groceries per month? Are you on food stamps?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 454 Replies
2 moms liked this

Just curious. I see all these people making statements like "I bet they would budget better and shop wiser if they were paying for the food themselves."

So how true is it? For the ones who get a lot of FS, do you think you would spend less if you didn't have FS? For me, personally... it isn't true. We used to get over $900 a month in food stamps. Now we get zero.... and I still spend $800 - $1000 a month on food. We still like/need/use the same things, fs or not. I always thought that argument was stupid.

And for the ones who DON'T get food stamps... do you think you would spend more or buy more expensive foods if you DID get them?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM

About $600-$700 a month. No foodstamps.

kidlover2
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM
$400--$600 a month & no
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I spend roughly $600 a month for a family of four and we do not receive fs.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I spend less now that I'm not on them because we live with my family and everyone contributes to the food bill. They help us a bit. With basics like milk eggs etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I spend $450.00 a month on groceries. We have food restrictions so I only buy gluten free, organic whole foods. And I have never had food stamps.

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I spend 150 a week on groceries for a family of 5. That is full dependency on the grocery store.

The reason is  I haven't really started a garden. It is hard out here in the NM desert. I plan on starting one this summer or figuring out if we are moving or not. 

I would love to have chickens but I just can't cut their heads off then strip their feathers.. EEEWWWWW.

jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this
We just buy what we need or want.....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

We get $400/month in food stamps for a family of 4. We spend about $450-$500 total each month.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this

We're not on food stamps, I spend about $1200 a month on food for four adults, one teen and two little kids.  Plus a dog, four cats and a goldfish!

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:05 PM
$1000 with no food stamps
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN