Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The REALITY of dumping you pet

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 145 Replies
15 moms liked this

Dumb Excuses for Dumping Pets

Subject: Sound Familiar? Pass these VOID excuses far and wide!

When you care about animals, work with, or rescue them, you can't stomach people's excuses as to why they "suddenly can't care for" their own. You are essentially telling us that for whatever lame reason you come up with; you no longer wish to be responsible for your pet. Here are solutions..

Be responsible enough to take care of a baby AND a pet. You had your pet first. This is called being an adult! The thought of someone giving up their loving pet, especially after having this animal for years, is just heartbreaking. Animals don't need your excuses. They need family they can truly TRUST.

If you are allergic, you knew this before. You don't suddenly become deathly allergic to them one day. Most people are allergic to pollen or mold, don't always blame it on a pet. If you will simply wipe your cat or dog down each day with a damp cloth, problem solved. The true allergy is to the dander, not the fur itself. "Dusting off" your pet daily can prevent attacks and pointless excuses. If this is an issue for you in the first place, please do NOT adopt a dog or a cat, only to give them up. It's simply not fair.

Are you suddenly too busy for a dog or cat? Please. We waste time on many pointless things. Anyone can find 10 minutes at the end of a day, to sit with our dog or cat. Spending time with pets is therapeutic and lowers blood pressure! Your pet has been waiting for you all day.

The least you can do is spend time with them. For all the people you encounter or talk to all day that may not deserve your time, your pet is always deserving of it. Pets don't want your excuses; they only want you to love them.

For all the people who dump their dogs and cats off at a shelter, be ashamed of yourselves. When you are driving away, leaving your pet behind to grieve and likely end up euthanized, take a few moments to reflect on what an asshole you are.

The reality is when you dump off your animal, regardless of the reason, they don't know know WHY. They are waiting for you to return; to take them home. They often whine, cry and even yelp as if in pain because you abandoned them.

When you never show up or it sinks in that you aren't coming back, they become severely depressed, often refusing to eat. This is the sight irresponsible people spare themselves, while shelter workers have to care for and comfort your grieving pet.

Animals show us unconditional love. Show them love and respect in return.
Not excuses.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed. My mom managed a shelter for 12 years. She saw so many depressed animals because of owners who got rid of them. She heard shit excuses too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mistweave
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Completely agree with you.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM

LOVE

deccaf
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM
I have only given up one pet. She turned on my daughter. I gave her to a friend who loves her. I get updates all the time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Actually, allergies CAN develop suddenly. I developed a severe allergy to cats in my late 20's. I had a near fatal asthma attack, spent three days in a coma. I'd had cats my whole life, it was crazy! My doc said my allergy was probably triggered by my pregnancy. It never went away after the pregnancy either, I still have trouble breathing if I'm around cats. So sad.
unusualmom
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM

We had a cat and i loved him dearly.  Then we brought home our oldest.  That cat hated our baby.  We came home to our house ripped apart by the cat.  Then another time we came home to cat poop all over the house...and these were literally 2 hr visits with my parents.  The cat had to go.  I missed him forever and I still miss him.  We found another family that loved him. :(

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to say something snarky...because that's just who I am...but I've got nuthin' here.

Agreed. 

ETA:  "It's okay to love your pets.  It's not okay to *LOVE* your pets."   That'll do.

Sometimes when I'm alone, I like to Google myself.

If you like my style, follow my blog.  I am Random Ninja - Writer of Wrongs.
Click it.  Share it.  (Tell 'em it's just a cold sore.)

crumpy_gat
by No. on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
*applause*
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I surrendered a litter after the idiots at the shelter put a female rabbit in with the males and I adopted a pregnant rabbit without knowing it. The woman at the shelter gave me so much crap about it that I stopped donating to them. Clearly they're not fit to care for animals anyway, I'll support decent shelters instead.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I absolutely agree!!!!

I have five dogs and am committed to their well being just as I would my child. I wish they lived as long as humans because my two oldest dogs are nearing 12.
My husband I both agree we will need much time off work when we lose one of our dogs. I can't imagine life without them.
People get pets all the time then get rid of them. It's sad, and there isn't any reason I'd ever get rid if mine.
We just had our first grand baby a few mos ago, and I never doubted my dogs would adapt just fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)