Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The REALITY of dumping you pet

Posted by   + Show Post

Dumb Excuses for Dumping Pets

Subject: Sound Familiar? Pass these VOID excuses far and wide!

When you care about animals, work with, or rescue them, you can't stomach people's excuses as to why they "suddenly can't care for" their own. You are essentially telling us that for whatever lame reason you come up with; you no longer wish to be responsible for your pet. Here are solutions..

Be responsible enough to take care of a baby AND a pet. You had your pet first. This is called being an adult! The thought of someone giving up their loving pet, especially after having this animal for years, is just heartbreaking. Animals don't need your excuses. They need family they can truly TRUST.

If you are allergic, you knew this before. You don't suddenly become deathly allergic to them one day. Most people are allergic to pollen or mold, don't always blame it on a pet. If you will simply wipe your cat or dog down each day with a damp cloth, problem solved. The true allergy is to the dander, not the fur itself. "Dusting off" your pet daily can prevent attacks and pointless excuses. If this is an issue for you in the first place, please do NOT adopt a dog or a cat, only to give them up. It's simply not fair.

Are you suddenly too busy for a dog or cat? Please. We waste time on many pointless things. Anyone can find 10 minutes at the end of a day, to sit with our dog or cat. Spending time with pets is therapeutic and lowers blood pressure! Your pet has been waiting for you all day.

The least you can do is spend time with them. For all the people you encounter or talk to all day that may not deserve your time, your pet is always deserving of it. Pets don't want your excuses; they only want you to love them.

For all the people who dump their dogs and cats off at a shelter, be ashamed of yourselves. When you are driving away, leaving your pet behind to grieve and likely end up euthanized, take a few moments to reflect on what an asshole you are.

The reality is when you dump off your animal, regardless of the reason, they don't know know WHY. They are waiting for you to return; to take them home. They often whine, cry and even yelp as if in pain because you abandoned them.

When you never show up or it sinks in that you aren't coming back, they become severely depressed, often refusing to eat. This is the sight irresponsible people spare themselves, while shelter workers have to care for and comfort your grieving pet.

Animals show us unconditional love. Show them love and respect in return.
Not excuses.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Replies (141-145):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM

sooo lesson here is... don't call an animal rescue unless you are dying from cancer..instead toss them in a ditch.

seriously. when you go off wagging your finger like this at people that are going to get rid of their pets all you do is open the door to either them dumping them off somewhere or killing them. if you are going to enter into this business then you got to be prepared for people getting rid of animals for reasons you aren't going to like. its life...if you want to HELP the animal then help them if you want to feel superior to other people by going off..well then you aren't doing your job for the right reasons. i cant tell you how many times i have found BOXES of puppies on the side of the road out in the country and had to take them to the pound and have people look at me like wtf before i explained to them what happened. maybe if they wouldnt give that snarky look or lecture these pups wouldnt be covered in fleas in a ditch. its like going off on a mom for putting her baby up for adoption when she cant afford it or doesn't want it...how many more would we find abandoned if that's the way we handled it?

EarlGrayHot
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I completely agree.  How sad that an animal that relied upon and loved you is sudenly tossed out like the trash.  Even worse, if you dump them in the wild you are setting them up to be starved, killed by a car, eaten by a predator, or waiting until death for you to return.  Don't do it!

proudGBmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM
I worked in a shelter for a few months I couldn't handle it! The animals were seemingly happy but we also had a lot of volunteers that played with them for hours on end. I can't stand that they euthanized so many animals and didn't care one was a litter of kittens that had been in the sick room 3 times weren't adoptable and were put down :( I hate shelters :(

Quoting KairisMama:

Agreed. My mom managed a shelter for 12 years. She saw so many depressed animals because of owners who got rid of them. She heard shit excuses too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RelaxedMom2-3
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM

We have gotten rid of one dog. He would growl and bite at my oldest son, he was around 7 at the time. My two younger ones could do anything to him. My youngest son even tried to swing him around by his tail one time and our dog didn't make a sound. I have always heard that dogs could tell fear. Not sure if that was it or what.

BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:57 PM
I have never surrendered an animal but we had a weenie dog I four d a new home for. After having him for two years. I think about him from time to time. It got to the point where we couldn't keep him. He despised my sons voice. It started with when my son would sing and then it got to be even when my son just walked into the room the dog would howl like he was being beaten. And he would do it for hours.
We had a pit. I had to rehome her when the dangerous pet BS was put I to effect.
And I found a yorkie in my yard once. Brought her in cleaned her up and kept her for a year while posting flyers and fb statuses and calling radio stations. No one ever claimed her so we gave her to a sweet old lady who was lonely.

Other than that i had a Chihuahua that died at 7 years old and last year we lost our peekapoo at the ripe old age on 13 .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)