Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When is it time to quit bathing with your child?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

My brother and I got in an argument.  He said his 6 year old daughter is too old to bathe with her mom in a tub, and shamed her to where she was crying because of embarrassment!

My brother has been divorced from his wife for 3 or 4 years.  He doesn't approve of anything she does...

I was soo ashamed of him and told him to stop and not to ever talk to her that way in front of me again.  I held her and hugged her and told her it was ok, and she could bathe with her mom (and her two year old sister).

I grew up showering with my mom, my cousins, my sister, my brother, to save money, and time.  I grew up where my grandpa would come home from work dirty, go into the kitchen, strip his clothes off and run through the house into the shower.  I grew up where modesty is ignorance and your body is what every other female has.

How old is too old to bathe with your DD or DS?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that bathing with parents should stop as soon as either the child or parent become uncomfortable.

That being said. Kids should start bathing themselves either in the bath or shower around the age of 4 to learn independence.

soontobemommie3
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I think that bathing with parents should stop as soon as either the child or parent become uncomfortable.

That being said. Kids should start bathing themselves either in the bath or shower around the age of 4 to learn independence.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I think when she was about 4 or 5, I just didn't want to get in the tub with her any more. She had a lot of bath toys to keep her company. Sometimes I did just to save time.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM
I think 4 maybe 5 is the cut off age
JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM

i love your line modesty is ignorance

mommaTLC186
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM
My kids where about 3-4
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM

DS started showering on his own at about 4 because he likes to and he can clean himself fine.

DD is 5-1/2 and she still showers with me. She has a hard time washing her hair by herself and it saves time by letting her shower with me.

mich.el.le
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I don't see how modesty is ignorance at all. I don't see a problem with a 6 year old bathing with her mother though.

LisaSmock
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM
My son (4) takes bathes alone most of the time. He showers with my sometimes. Almost never takes a bath with me (he got in the tub with me yesterday just because I wanted him to stop bugging me every 3 min to see if I was done yet
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:41 PM

"Modesty" in this sense include humility, shyness, and simplicity. Which I condemn to being ignorance.

Quoting mich.el.le:

I don't see how modesty is ignorance at all. I don't see a problem with a 6 year old bathing with her mother though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN