Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Receiving the Holy Ghost

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 420 Replies

My boyfriend and I attend his Gospel church. They are very big on receiving the Holy Ghost and speaking in Tongues.

Tonight, we believe I may have been touched by the Holy Ghost, however I didnt break out into the obvious mumbles as the others were... My mouth did feel a little numb, and I felt like I was stumbling over the words I was saying, however it was NOT the pronounced 'Tongue" like everyone else (including the 6 yr old boy next to me)...

Im kind of curious about something tho, and maybe you mamas who know could help... Obviously its common beleif that when the Holy Ghost touches you, you speak in Tongues; however, I was wondering if the Holy Ghost has shown Itself in other ways. I mean, obviously if God wants to contact you, He WILL contact you lol... But I mean more so, like, well IDK... When we go to church, I really get into the music and whatnot... Tonight, during service, I felt like singing the song from "Because of Winn Dixie", where the music goes

"Glory, Glory, Hallelujah, Since I lay my burden down"

I havent watched that movie in years... So I have no idea where that came from...

And IDK why, but I really dont like the song 'Amazing Grace', yet that has popped into my head randomly at church as well, both at his (Gospel) and mine (non-denominational)...

And neither church has performed either song while I have attended, nor had it on as background music...

So I guess, is it possible to receive the Holy Ghost through song versus Tongue?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junesmommy18
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Gooba gooba goo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junesmommy18
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM
9 moms liked this
Translation: I have no fucking idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeaganP
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Your kidding right. This is a joke
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM
27 moms liked this
I don't believe you need to speak in tongues to have been touched. You and only you (and God) will know for sure when it happens

And yes, it is possible. You were touched by the holy spirit and a song came upon you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM
8 moms liked this

Sure, why not?  But I don't believe that most people who think they speak in tongues really ARE.  Why does it sound like gobbleygook and not a language?  In the bible when the holy spirit descended the disciples spoke in languages they didn't understand...but others did because it was their native language.  When people in church  speak in tongues it doesn't sound like anything I ever heard....I think it's psychological.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Is this a serious post?

New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe in tongues. Sorry 

eta: imma firm believer in my Christian faith...... acts4:31 and 13:9-11 disciples received the holy spirt but did not speak in tongues. 

Mom2Jake08
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd see a psychiatrist.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM
11 moms liked this
Speaking in tongues is a gift *some* receive when they accept Jesus as their Savior. Not everyone has the gift of tongues. I was given the gifts of discernment and mercy. You should do a study on the gifts of the spirit. It will really help you to understand your place in the church and how God wants to use you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM
5 moms liked this
I heard a man that was troubled by this very thing, and he questioned the Lord about it. Everyone BUT HIM spoke in tongues. The Lord basically told him to be patient. One day, the man was in his car singing along to some music, but then he caught himself. He was singing IN TONGUES! I think the message to you is to be patient. Question God if you must, but then wait for the answer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)