Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

One of my students got popped in the mouth by their mother!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I teach high school and I had a confrence with a kid who has been acting up and her parents.

The girl started acting out in the meeting, telling her mom what she was going to do, telling me to shut up, calling me a liar when I had the grades to prove it ect.

The girl called her mom a bitch and her mom smacked her in the mouth. The girl didn't bleed or cry. just put her head down.

I cant help but feel satisfaction. I had to hold in my laughter. This little terror has been distruptive and disrespectful since August. Im glad parents are parenting.

What would you have done?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
BlessedMammaof2
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I may have had a hard time not laughing too. But hitting a child in the face is just uncalled for IMO and borderline abuse even if it isn't hard enough to inflict pain or leave a bruise. Clearly the mothers form of discipline thus far isn't working if she was sitting there calling her mom a bitch and telling you to shut up. Her mom just reacted to the situation out of anger and embarrassment.

Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM
I would never have acted like that, but my mom would have(and did) pop me in the mouth for back talking. I would do the same if my kids were that age and treating me like that(amongst other things as punishment), but I hope I am and will have raised them well that they don't ever do that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Did the teacher do anything about witnessing abuse?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would be concerned. My dad gave my sister a black eye during a conference when the teacher reported to him that she sassed her in class. That is not mentioning the week of horror she got at home for embarrassing him and disgracing his name. Then what my mother did for her unladylike behavior...

AA2.0
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I would have done the same damn thing. Little shit sounds like she needs a pop in the mouth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM
2 moms liked this
Arent you a mandated reporter? I find it sickening that you wanted to laugh about a child being hit in the mouth. I dont care how she was acting, there are better ways to handle it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Quoting PoplarGrove:

Sorry, but if you have to hit a child to get them to behave there's no parenting going on.  I honestly can't believe a teacher would find it funny to see one of their students humiliated like that.  If the Mom would do that in front of someone what's happening behind closed doors?  Children act out for a reason.  Maybe having empathy and getting to the root of the reason would be more productive. 

I would agree ordinarily, but this girl is the youngest of 5. I have taught all of her siblings and have grown to know the mother pretty well. NONE of the other kids act out or are like this. These parents are at the end of their rope. NOTHING works for this girl. They take everything from her and try to displine but it hasnt been working. We have been trying to work this out for months with her and I have to say I was thinking she needed a good spanking. 

WesAndNicksMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I'm just saying from personal experience it might not be about her parenting.  I'm bi-polar amongst other things so I was just out of control.

Quoting Anonymous:

Typically, it is - especially when it is occurring in multiple settings...

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Ummm - if the "parents were parenting", the child would not be acting the way she has been...

Sounds like a nice "dog and pony' show for you, but I doubt there is actual effective parenting going on.

My mom was an excellent parent but I was an awful child. She finally snapped and smacked me in the mouth when I was 17 and I DESERVED it.  It's not always about parenting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this
No. Very few of our teachers ever tried and CPS is a joke. I even had one teacher tell me to shut up because she didnt want to know. She would HAVE to report it if I told her and she said it was none of her business.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Did the teacher do anything about witnessing abuse?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would be concerned. My dad gave my sister a black eye during a conference when the teacher reported to him that she sassed her in class. That is not mentioning the week of horror she got at home for embarrassing him and disgracing his name. Then what my mother did for her unladylike behavior...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

There are exceptions to every rule. which is why i said "typically", but if a child is having mental health issues, hitting them isn't the kind of help they need either.

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

I'm just saying from personal experience it might not be about her parenting.  I'm bi-polar amongst other things so I was just out of control.

Quoting Anonymous:

Typically, it is - especially when it is occurring in multiple settings...

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Ummm - if the "parents were parenting", the child would not be acting the way she has been...

Sounds like a nice "dog and pony' show for you, but I doubt there is actual effective parenting going on.

My mom was an excellent parent but I was an awful child. She finally snapped and smacked me in the mouth when I was 17 and I DESERVED it.  It's not always about parenting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Tree hugger parenting is the new parenting approach. You aren't as high and mighty as you might believe. The girl was rude and disrespectful her mother popped her if she didn't want to be humiliated she should have behaved.

Quoting PoplarGrove:

Sorry, but if you have to hit a child to get them to behave there's no parenting going on.  I honestly can't believe a teacher would find it funny to see one of their students humiliated like that.  If the Mom would do that in front of someone what's happening behind closed doors?  Children act out for a reason.  Maybe having empathy and getting to the root of the reason would be more productive. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)