Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

One of my students got popped in the mouth by their mother!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I teach high school and I had a confrence with a kid who has been acting up and her parents.

The girl started acting out in the meeting, telling her mom what she was going to do, telling me to shut up, calling me a liar when I had the grades to prove it ect.

The girl called her mom a bitch and her mom smacked her in the mouth. The girl didn't bleed or cry. just put her head down.

I cant help but feel satisfaction. I had to hold in my laughter. This little terror has been distruptive and disrespectful since August. Im glad parents are parenting.

What would you have done?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Replies (41-50):
WesAndNicksMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM

We'll just have to agree to disagree :)

Quoting Anonymous:

There are exceptions to every rule. which is why i said "typically", but if a child is having mental health issues, hitting them isn't the kind of help they need either.

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

I'm just saying from personal experience it might not be about her parenting.  I'm bi-polar amongst other things so I was just out of control.

Quoting Anonymous:

Typically, it is - especially when it is occurring in multiple settings...

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Ummm - if the "parents were parenting", the child would not be acting the way she has been...

Sounds like a nice "dog and pony' show for you, but I doubt there is actual effective parenting going on.

My mom was an excellent parent but I was an awful child. She finally snapped and smacked me in the mouth when I was 17 and I DESERVED it.  It's not always about parenting.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:29 AM

That is horrible.

I have, sadly, had to make more than a few CPS reports over the years as a mandated reporter.

I always called when needed and, thankfully, know of at least 1 situation where as a result of my call, the child was removed from an unsafe home and put in a safe one, where he wanted to be.

CPS is definitely a troubled, difficult system - but it does get it "right" from time to time...

Quoting Anonymous:

No. Very few of our teachers ever tried and CPS is a joke. I even had one teacher tell me to shut up because she didnt want to know. She would HAVE to report it if I told her and she said it was none of her business.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Did the teacher do anything about witnessing abuse?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would be concerned. My dad gave my sister a black eye during a conference when the teacher reported to him that she sassed her in class. That is not mentioning the week of horror she got at home for embarrassing him and disgracing his name. Then what my mother did for her unladylike behavior...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Wow, I've dreamed of that moment with a few past students. I can't believe she actually did that. Good for her! Take charge. But I'd be scared something else was going to happen to the kid at the same time, ya know? Like, if they do that in front if me, what's it like at home? Then I'd probably be torn between crying and cheering.
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Huh?  I was raised in a home with no corporal punishment (as was my sister) and I am older than many, many moms on here.  There is nothing new about parenting without violence.  It has become more commonplace, but it is nothing new.

Quoting Anonymous:

Tree hugger parenting is the new parenting approach. You aren't as high and mighty as you might believe. The girl was rude and disrespectful her mother popped her if she didn't want to be humiliated she should have behaved.

Quoting PoplarGrove:

Sorry, but if you have to hit a child to get them to behave there's no parenting going on.  I honestly can't believe a teacher would find it funny to see one of their students humiliated like that.  If the Mom would do that in front of someone what's happening behind closed doors?  Children act out for a reason.  Maybe having empathy and getting to the root of the reason would be more productive. 

SparklingHope
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM

If my sister was 18 years old at the time she called my mother that (she was 17 and I was gonna punch her out..I would've been handcuffed..so I didn't..I walked away from her) when I was in the vehicle..me and her would had our first physical fight. I would've won cause I know her weak points and I was raged by how she was talking to our mom like how that girl talked to hers. Good for the mother! I hope she had serious consequences besides the punch in the mouth (which she totally deserved!! Right on mom!!) 

aj2011
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I was raised to know better than to talk to my mom like that. Also to be a good student. All my mother asked for was for me to pass high school. If I ever called my mother that I would've gotten the beating of my life.

Mrs.Winchester
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you really think that the girl hasn't been treated this way before?  Like her mom has never popped her one?  And yet you sit there and say she is terrorizing your class and disrespectful.  OBVIOUSLY that method is not working.  Maybe instead of smacking her around someone should try to figure out why she is acting this way and help her work through her emotions so she can be productive in class and life.  THAT is what a real teacher does.

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not all for that kind of lasting out punishment by parents but it kids sounds like she deserved it. And if she was acting like that in front of a school official and talking to her mother like that well maybe it was a wake up call although it does sound like her mother failed her early on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Susan0805
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Sounds like they should have been parenting before the conference... Smacking your kid in the face or "popping" them in the face in anyway is not ok with me...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I find it sickening that you consider a highschooler a CHILD. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Arent you a mandated reporter? I find it sickening that you wanted to laugh about a child being hit in the mouth. I dont care how she was acting, there are better ways to handle it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)