Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need job advice. Unemployed and living with my mom...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

The title sounds bad, it's true  but I'm not as much of a bum as that title implies.

Long story short, Moved back home while DH was deployed because I needed somewhere stable(in-laws were about to lose their house) because I needed surgery to remove a large tumor from my head. DH was sent home early from deployment and 2 months after surgery, is now out of the military(finished his 5 years and decided not to reenlist- honorable discharge). So, here we are, both job hunting with no luck so far.

I need an entry level, no experience or school needed job that pays at least 30k. Ha. Like that's even possible. Been searching, not finding anything. I need ideas so I can narrow it down and stop finding jobs that don't pay enough.

OR

DH needs a job working on helicopter engines(what he did in the military). He's been applying and nada. He also applied for a basicallygrunt/clerical job that pays 20/hr a 40 hrs/week and you get an automatic raise  at 2 months(after  training). It's loading/unloading oil barrels and loggning the info, clearing snow, cleaning the work area, ec. If neither of us  get anything decent, I may suggest he try the oil field... like oil rigs, or the people that taxi the people on the oil rigs and/or their groceries. My ex did that and made ok money. 2 weeks on, 2 off. I could get something to fill in the rest.

I just need ideas. We live in south Texas but are willing to relocate if we are offered a guaranteed, legitimate opportunity.

The only things that could limit me are: I have no hearing in my right ear(so I doubt I could be a cop or anything that requires good hearing) and I have no balance nerve(that's where the tumor started at) so I have poor balance and poor hand-eye coordination(takes away jobs like waitress). This last one might be temporary but my right eye doesn't always close all the way so it gets dried out and can cause scratching that could be very bad for my eye. Idk what jobs would bother that other than construction.

So,  if you feel like helping me out with suggestions, thank you in advance. If not, oh well. I'll continue job hunting anyhow.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sj218
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:51 AM
Have your husband look into Columbia Helicopters. They're in OR, but they have field maintenance crews that are all over the place. Is he an A/P?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:29 AM

He doesn't have his license, I'm not 100% sure if he can get it. He worked  on them when they were off of  the birds. He's told me he can get it, then other times he's told me he can't. Or he can with OJT... I'm not sure.

Quoting Sj218:

Have your husband look into Columbia Helicopters. They're in OR, but they have field maintenance crews that are all over the place. Is he an A/P?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:32 AM
Call centers like banks credit cards they pay well and there's commission
horseap
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:37 AM

If he could go to the oil fields I would say go there.  Our cousin(inlaws) sister moved with her DH( we live in OH)  all the way to Texas just for a job.  Could you even just babysit at home for quick cash?  Good luck either way.

Sj218
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:43 AM
He can get it with OJT. Columbia has hired many without it. He should really look into A/P school. It's a good job with room for advancement. Doesn't mean he has to be a mechanic forever. Good living wage job...

Quoting Anonymous:

He doesn't have his license, I'm not 100% sure if he can get it. He worked  on them when they were off of  the birds. He's told me he can get it, then other times he's told me he can't. Or he can with OJT... I'm not sure.

Quoting Sj218:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:59 AM

I'm definitely thinking about telling him to try even if its just until he finds better work. I also am going to talk to my former manager at Walgreens and see what they have available, just so we have something. He's said if I want to come back he will make sure there's a place for me. I'm just not sure if he's just being nice, but I'm going to give it a shot. Our taxes alone will pay our  bills at least through April. So, if I can start work soon, we can save  most of  that.  We're stll waiting on his last check.

My mom's house is hardly suitable for us to be living here, let alone bring other kids into it. Too many dogs,  not enough baby proofing.  I wouldn't bring  my DD to a house like my mom's to be baby sat.  I hate living here. I want back in our own place.

Quoting horseap:

If he could go to the oil fields I would say go there.  Our cousin(inlaws) sister moved with her DH( we live in OH)  all the way to Texas just for a job.  Could you even just babysit at home for quick cash?  Good luck either way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:03 AM

He liked his job. Jobs we've found before were starting at 60k/year. Nearly double what he made in the milittary. And we were doing ok with that pay.

I'm going  to hunt down more jobs for hiim. I don't think he knows where to look. I'll try to find A/P school, too.

Quoting Sj218:

He can get it with OJT. Columbia has hired many without it. He should really look into A/P school. It's a good job with room for advancement. Doesn't mean he has to be a mechanic forever. Good living wage job...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Sj218:

horseap
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Im sorry your going through tough times.  Ohio has a site called   ohiomeansjobs.org  they list all types of jobs at all levels.  Maybe call the local welfare office to see if they have any job fairs or a site like this?  What about temp services?  I know they may not be the IDEAL job but it could be something until either of you finds a good one?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm definitely thinking about telling him to try even if its just until he finds better work. I also am going to talk to my former manager at Walgreens and see what they have available, just so we have something. He's said if I want to come back he will make sure there's a place for me. I'm just not sure if he's just being nice, but I'm going to give it a shot. Our taxes alone will pay our  bills at least through April. So, if I can start work soon, we can save  most of  that.  We're stll waiting on his last check.

My mom's house is hardly suitable for us to be living here, let alone bring other kids into it. Too many dogs,  not enough baby proofing.  I wouldn't bring  my DD to a house like my mom's to be baby sat.  I hate living here. I want back in our own place.

Quoting horseap:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:53 AM
He's a vet. Tell him to go to the work source and they will find him a job. Tell them he's a vet when you go. For you, you can only go to workintexas. com and look there. I'm serious they sat and looked for my ex a job because he was a vet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:56 AM

We're still waiting on his DD214, I'll add this to the list and he can go once we get that. Hopefully soon. At least, I'm assuming they'll want that before they will help him find a job?

He's still working with the career lady through the military but she seems to be not so useful. :/ She found 2 jobs so far. 1 he had to be in NC for the interview(and not enough notice to get him there for a not-guaranteed job), the second she apparently didn't realize they didn't have any positions. Idk. We're open to moving pretty much anywhere for a good job and we told her this. 

Quoting Anonymous:

He's a vet. Tell him to go to the work source and they will find him a job. Tell them he's a vet when you go. For you, you can only go to workintexas. com and look there. I'm serious they sat and looked for my ex a job because he was a vet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)