Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need job advice. Unemployed and living with my mom...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The title sounds bad, it's true  but I'm not as much of a bum as that title implies.

Long story short, Moved back home while DH was deployed because I needed somewhere stable(in-laws were about to lose their house) because I needed surgery to remove a large tumor from my head. DH was sent home early from deployment and 2 months after surgery, is now out of the military(finished his 5 years and decided not to reenlist- honorable discharge). So, here we are, both job hunting with no luck so far.

I need an entry level, no experience or school needed job that pays at least 30k. Ha. Like that's even possible. Been searching, not finding anything. I need ideas so I can narrow it down and stop finding jobs that don't pay enough.

OR

DH needs a job working on helicopter engines(what he did in the military). He's been applying and nada. He also applied for a basicallygrunt/clerical job that pays 20/hr a 40 hrs/week and you get an automatic raise  at 2 months(after  training). It's loading/unloading oil barrels and loggning the info, clearing snow, cleaning the work area, ec. If neither of us  get anything decent, I may suggest he try the oil field... like oil rigs, or the people that taxi the people on the oil rigs and/or their groceries. My ex did that and made ok money. 2 weeks on, 2 off. I could get something to fill in the rest.

I just need ideas. We live in south Texas but are willing to relocate if we are offered a guaranteed, legitimate opportunity.

The only things that could limit me are: I have no hearing in my right ear(so I doubt I could be a cop or anything that requires good hearing) and I have no balance nerve(that's where the tumor started at) so I have poor balance and poor hand-eye coordination(takes away jobs like waitress). This last one might be temporary but my right eye doesn't always close all the way so it gets dried out and can cause scratching that could be very bad for my eye. Idk what jobs would bother that other than construction.

So,  if you feel like helping me out with suggestions, thank you in advance. If not, oh well. I'll continue job hunting anyhow.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:58 AM

Why doesn't your hubs use his post 911 gi bill that allows for housing, etc?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:00 AM

State work? As a vet he has a real in for any state job-and they need mechanics all the time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Yes, some may want to see it for proof. Those career counselors in the military are useless, really. That's why I tell every one now that even if you have a fantastic job in there that can make money out in the real world, spend some of your free time getting a real license/degree/certificate for it before exiting the military because sometimes just having the experience is useless. My ex drove 18 wheeler fulers in there and he still would have had to come up with 8k to pay for driving school to get a real cdl as a civian where as the military would have helped him with it if he wanted to do it while in there. Good luck sweetie, I hope it doesn't take yall as long as it did us to get on our feet. He is getting unemployment, right? That will help a lot.

Quoting Anonymous:

We're still waiting on his DD214, I'll add this to the list and he can go once we get that. Hopefully soon. At least, I'm assuming they'll want that before they will help him find a job?

He's still working with the career lady through the military but she seems to be not so useful. :/ She found 2 jobs so far. 1 he had to be in NC for the interview(and not enough notice to get him there for a not-guaranteed job), the second she apparently didn't realize they didn't have any positions. Idk. We're open to moving pretty much anywhere for a good job and we told her this. 

Quoting Anonymous:

He's a vet. Tell him to go to the work source and they will find him a job. Tell them he's a vet when you go. For you, you can only go to workintexas. com and look there. I'm serious they sat and looked for my ex a job because he was a vet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Also (same person who replied to you a few min ago hehe) have him look into being a correctional officer. In the state of Texas he will start out as being a CO3 and they make 2500 something a month before taxes. It's a very easy job especially if he works over nights and it will hold yall over until he gets something else. Training is 5 weeks and it is paid training.

Quoting Anonymous:

We're still waiting on his DD214, I'll add this to the list and he can go once we get that. Hopefully soon. At least, I'm assuming they'll want that before they will help him find a job?

He's still working with the career lady through the military but she seems to be not so useful. :/ She found 2 jobs so far. 1 he had to be in NC for the interview(and not enough notice to get him there for a not-guaranteed job), the second she apparently didn't realize they didn't have any positions. Idk. We're open to moving pretty much anywhere for a good job and we told her this. 

Quoting Anonymous:

He's a vet. Tell him to go to the work source and they will find him a job. Tell them he's a vet when you go. For you, you can only go to workintexas. com and look there. I'm serious they sat and looked for my ex a job because he was a vet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM

He said he has to be in school full time to use that. 

I'd still need a better job than I've been finding. I'd need to make at least 15/hour with 40 hours/week, assuming the money he got from the GI bill only covered rent and utilities. Although I'm not sure how much our phone bill will go down once I switch to a basic phone. Which should be soon, my brother just has to find the extra one he has laying around. 

I'm just going to have to keep searching. It's just frustrating. I just submitted my resume to ihireveterinary. Hoping somebody around here has openings. I'm trying to make going back to Walgreens a last option because the pay is so terrible. It was ok when I was single or we were just married, now... It's a joke. But if I absolutely have to, I'll take it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Why doesn't your hubs use his post 911 gi bill that allows for housing, etc?

brandydesiree
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Find a staffing agency, they usually pay the best because they get contracts. I work for Swift, which is a staffing agency. I work for an oil company doing clerical work and make $20 an hour.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Yeah, I wish we would've thought of that but he didn't decide to get out until within the last year. It would've been smart. I attempted to go to school but the only school near us didn't have the classes I needed readily available. For veterinary, the classes were 3 hours away on weekdays. Him in the military, 1 DD, no friends/family, and 1 car... Yep. You see where I'm going. 

He can't file for unemployment until he gets his DD214. :( 

I'll tell him about the correctional officer. My sister's DH might be able to get him a job but he says it won't make enough. I'm talking to her now and it sounds like it would be enough, at least for now. Ugh. If I COULD do the job, I totally would. But it requires free climbing light poles. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, some may want to see it for proof. Those career counselors in the military are useless, really. That's why I tell every one now that even if you have a fantastic job in there that can make money out in the real world, spend some of your free time getting a real license/degree/certificate for it before exiting the military because sometimes just having the experience is useless. My ex drove 18 wheeler fulers in there and he still would have had to come up with 8k to pay for driving school to get a real cdl as a civian where as the military would have helped him with it if he wanted to do it while in there. Good luck sweetie, I hope it doesn't take yall as long as it did us to get on our feet. He is getting unemployment, right? That will help a lot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Brooke.bodybyvi
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM

i work from home and absoutley love it, if you'relooking to work from home please message me i would love to tell you what i do and about my job

kats642
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Hi, My name is Kathy. I am a stay at home mom, I work from home and love it! if you would like to earn an income while being at home with your family, then you need to check this out. You can do this anytime, around your family's schedule, day or night and all you need is a computer!

Contact me at kats642@gmail.com to get started,.

http://instantmoneynetwork.com/Kathy642

Meg_AKB
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM

hello. reading your story is why i love this website! i am given opportunities to reach out to other moms and give them the chance to take a look at my job! i couldn't be more happy and i get to spend every day with my baby girl! check out my website www.michaelabenton.legalshieldassociate.com 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN