Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need job advice. Unemployed and living with my mom...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The title sounds bad, it's true  but I'm not as much of a bum as that title implies.

Long story short, Moved back home while DH was deployed because I needed somewhere stable(in-laws were about to lose their house) because I needed surgery to remove a large tumor from my head. DH was sent home early from deployment and 2 months after surgery, is now out of the military(finished his 5 years and decided not to reenlist- honorable discharge). So, here we are, both job hunting with no luck so far.

I need an entry level, no experience or school needed job that pays at least 30k. Ha. Like that's even possible. Been searching, not finding anything. I need ideas so I can narrow it down and stop finding jobs that don't pay enough.

OR

DH needs a job working on helicopter engines(what he did in the military). He's been applying and nada. He also applied for a basicallygrunt/clerical job that pays 20/hr a 40 hrs/week and you get an automatic raise  at 2 months(after  training). It's loading/unloading oil barrels and loggning the info, clearing snow, cleaning the work area, ec. If neither of us  get anything decent, I may suggest he try the oil field... like oil rigs, or the people that taxi the people on the oil rigs and/or their groceries. My ex did that and made ok money. 2 weeks on, 2 off. I could get something to fill in the rest.

I just need ideas. We live in south Texas but are willing to relocate if we are offered a guaranteed, legitimate opportunity.

The only things that could limit me are: I have no hearing in my right ear(so I doubt I could be a cop or anything that requires good hearing) and I have no balance nerve(that's where the tumor started at) so I have poor balance and poor hand-eye coordination(takes away jobs like waitress). This last one might be temporary but my right eye doesn't always close all the way so it gets dried out and can cause scratching that could be very bad for my eye. Idk what jobs would bother that other than construction.

So,  if you feel like helping me out with suggestions, thank you in advance. If not, oh well. I'll continue job hunting anyhow.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Replies (21-23):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Sounds to me like you dont want to DO anything but you want the handout of a good job?

Go to school. 

Take what you can get (you're NOT going to get a 30k job with no schooling) and budget on that.

Live somewhere where the cost of living is low. 

Do all that until you can get educated. And for the record, stop making excuses, I'm deaf in one ear and not perfectly balanced but that doesn't limit ME.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Actually, I know EXACTLY what I WANT to do. It's a matter of getting there. 

We've decided DH will go to school first. His will be less than half the length I'm looking at. So, he can  get a good job straight out of school then I can go to school. In the mean time I will just work around his school schedule. 

Not perfectly balanced is different than having no balance nerve. You don't know how bad my balance is or isn't.  And yes it does hold me back because  I had planned on going into the National Guard after  DH left the military and now I can't. I'm not sure how literally not being able to do certain jobs is an excuse.... 

We did make a move out of state to somewhere MUCH cheaper than my hometown. DH's GI bill covers school and provides housing allowance, my job covers the rest.

Glad to know asking for ideas for jobs is asking for a handout.. SMH.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds to me like you dont want to DO anything but you want the handout of a good job?

Go to school. 

Take what you can get (you're NOT going to get a 30k job with no schooling) and budget on that.

Live somewhere where the cost of living is low. 

Do all that until you can get educated. And for the record, stop making excuses, I'm deaf in one ear and not perfectly balanced but that doesn't limit ME.

mommymeza13
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Hey sweetie. You seem to have a lot of motivation for finding a job. If you are still searching, or if you would like a part time job just to make sure you never need to stress over being jobless, contact me here. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jessica-Meza-Enhancing-Futures/478836295534609?ref=hl

I will gladly do anything in my power to make sure you are successful if you choose to become a member of my team.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured