Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel so dumb, but is this a cold or the flu?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I can honestly say I do not think I've ever had a resperatory flu before. Only the stomach flu. Im pretty darn sick with something right now. But im not sure if its the flu thats going around, or just a bad cold...

I feel so dumb asking, but what do you think?

My symptoms:

Congested
Fever
Sore throat
Body aches
Very bad chills
Sneezing (but not often)
Upset stomach on and off
Very foul smelling gas
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:41 AM
Replies (11-20):
mattiehatter
by Mary on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:51 AM

The flu is a respiratory disease for the most part. What is commonly referred to as the stomach flu is actually gastroenteritis. 

Symptoms of the Flu

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you! If this is the resperatory flu, holy crap it sucks. Lol

Quoting mattiehatter:

Leaning more toward the flu on this one. Hope you get better soon!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Thank you very much! Im glad youre starting to feel better! I tried my hardest to avoid catching this flu. But I know its impossible to completely avoid germs. Sigh.

Quoting shymomof4:

I know it sucks.  I had the flu about 2 weeks ago.  I am starting to feel normal now.  I hope you feel better soon.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was afraid of that. :-(

Quoting shymomof4:

The chills and upset stomach and body ache make me think flu.

mymanben
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Me.too. Just thought I would give a fair warning. I was startled by it. Was not expecting it. Feel better soon.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh no! Please don't tell me that! Lol I absolutely DESPISE the stomach flu and throwing up!

Quoting mymanben:

My son woke up with that about a week ago, than Friday night started throwing up.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:54 AM
Thank you! I will definitely be calling in the morning, as I just got sick today.

Quoting Djinn83:

Fever is indicative of the flu. It's rare to have a fever with a cold.  If your symptoms started less than 48 hours ago, call your doctor and get some tamiflu.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:54 AM
Thank you for that :-)

Quoting mattiehatter:

The flu is a respiratory disease for the most part. What is commonly referred to as the stomach flu is actually gastroenteritis. 

Symptoms of the Flu

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you! If this is the resperatory flu, holy crap it sucks. Lol

Quoting mattiehatter:

Leaning more toward the flu on this one. Hope you get better soon!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:54 AM

The sypmtoms of a cold and the flu can be very simliar. The easiest way to determine which it is, is to consider how long it took you to become sick. Did you become sick over a few days   Or did you wake up feeling great and suddenly became sick?  If you became sick quickly (usually you can pinpoint the exact moment you started to feel ill) then it's the flu.  If you became sick over the course of a few days, it's a cold.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Thank you! My dd has this as well. Its going to suck so bad if we both start throwing up. My SO just txt me from work that hes starting to not feel good and he feels out of it and no energy. Uh oh. =\

Quoting mymanben:

Me.too. Just thought I would give a fair warning. I was startled by it. Was not expecting it. Feel better soon.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh no! Please don't tell me that! Lol I absolutely DESPISE the stomach flu and throwing up!

Quoting mymanben:

My son woke up with that about a week ago, than Friday night started throwing up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:58 AM
Well, I had a weird feeling in my stomach for about 48 hours, and horrid gas. I went to bed last night feeling fine, and woke up feeling like I got ran over by a truck.

Quoting Anonymous:

The sypmtoms of a cold and the flu can be very simliar. The easiest way to determine which it is, is to consider how long it took you to become sick. Did you become sick over a few days   Or did you wake up feeling great and suddenly became sick?  If you became sick quickly (usually you can pinpoint the exact moment you started to feel ill) then it's the flu.  If you became sick over the course of a few days, it's a cold.

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:59 AM

The body aches make me think you probably have the flu. Vitamin C,garlic(you can add chopped garlic to chicken soup and it will taste homemade) these will help boost your immune system,peppermint tea is good for upset tummies,lemon,honey and hot water will sooth your sore throat,and help boost your immune system,fresh ginger sliced thin and hot water and honey to sweeten will help your tummy,inflamation and pain....along with your tummy. I hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Thank you so much! I will definitely be trying these things! Cause I feel like straight up garbage right now! Lol

Quoting cjsix:

The body aches make me think you probably have the flu. Vitamin C,garlic(you can add chopped garlic to chicken soup and it will taste homemade) these will help boost your immune system,peppermint tea is good for upset tummies,lemon,honey and hot water will sooth your sore throat,and help boost your immune system,fresh ginger sliced thin and hot water and honey to sweeten will help your tummy,inflamation and pain....along with your tummy. I hope you feel better soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)