Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They are your kids not your slaves! ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 389 Replies
3 moms liked this

OMFG!

My kids and I went over to my friends house to visit and her daughter was doing the laundry, (oldest dd and she is 15) I don't mean she was doing her laundry, she was doing the whole households laundry!  My friend's her DH's, her brother's, and the baby's laundry!  Then she did the dishes, mopped and dusted the house AND took care of the baby!  She helps her little brother's with their home work, and she does all of this before she can get to her own homework!  My friend is a sahm there is no reason her oldest child should be doing all of this!  She doesn't get any money for it either!

At my house the kids have to keep their room clean and care for thier pets those are the you live here work. Anything else they get money for.

Oh the 14yo boy does all the yard work and he gets paid for it.

To all of you who are saying I don't see the problem.  I don't see how any of you can say that a 15 year old girl should have to take care of her siblings like they are her own.  She isn't pregnant, doesn't do drugs, gets straight A's and all of this with all the work that she is supposed to do.  She has circles under her eyes and as far as I am concerned this isn't fair to her.  I have voiced my concerns to her mom and she is convinced that she needs to learn how to do it all so she can be a good housewife when she grows up and gets married.  Her daughter wants to be a doctor and has no plans to marry right away like her mother did.  At this point she wants no children at all because she has always taken care of her brothers.  (we had a long talk this afternoon).  She has no problem helping out around the house but resents her mother for making her mother her siblings.  She is going to graduate soon and as soon as she does she is moving out of the house.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tea4Tas
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:57 AM

EH. I work and my kids do a ton of stuff. I pay them for it-my 16 year old makes $75 a week.  Nothing wrong with teaching a kid how to work.  Unless their school work suffers. I did all of the laundry cooked dinner and mowed the lawn when I was a kid-I also had about 2-4 hours of other chores assigned to me on Saturdays.....I did get paid however.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Did you sit there with a baby in your arms with a bottle while trying to help a 1 yo eat dinner while your dinner sat in front of you getting cold?  I told her I would hold the baby and my friend said NO that is her job.  

Quoting Tea4Tas:

EH. I work and my kids do a ton of stuff. I pay them for it-my 16 year old makes $75 a week.  Nothing wrong with teaching a kid how to work.  Unless their school work suffers. I did all of the laundry cooked dinner and mowed the lawn when I was a kid-I also had about 2-4 hours of other chores assigned to me on Saturdays.....I did get paid however.

Apollos82
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:00 AM
8 moms liked this
Maybe she got in trouble?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:02 AM
3 moms liked this
I see nothing wrong with all the laundry, maybe even dishes. Everything else is a bit much. And while she should help with her siblings it shouldn't be her job to care for them especially daily.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Would never force my child to do anything extra than take care of her messes and care for her own itemes. If she helps mommy fold clothes, she gets paid for it and it's always optional. She didn't have me, I had her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Nope this is a daily thing.  She gets straight A's, she does it all with out complaint, last time she complained she had to do the yard work too.

Quoting Apollos82:

Maybe she got in trouble?

bellawomen
by Summer on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:05 AM
2 moms liked this
Sorry, but that's bullshit. Even if there is a disability that is WAY too much for a 15 year old to take on. And I was a 15 year old who lived on my own.

My son is 9 and is responsible for his room, his laundry, and anything else is his choice to earn money and extra electronic time.
bellawomen
by Summer on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:06 AM
Have you asked your friend WHY?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:06 AM
4 moms liked this

I could understand at that age them doing their own laundry, a few (not all) chores around the house, and then of course cleaning up after herself but doing everything is just ridicoulous especially since your friend is sahm

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree her husband things she does it all and she is all smiles and clean and awake and happy when he gets home.  

Her DD always looks tired I think she has her get up with the baby at night too.  

Quoting bellawomen:

Sorry, but that's bullshit. Even if there is a disability that is WAY too much for a 15 year old to take on. And I was a 15 year old who lived on my own.

My son is 9 and is responsible for his room, his laundry, and anything else is his choice to earn money and extra electronic time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured