Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are anyone's boys in Husky sizes?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:28 AM
  • 31 Replies

We had to get my sons fitted for tuxedos yesterday and my 4 year old needs a size 6 husky.

I'm shocked! Mainly because I thought husky sizes were for big kids....but he's not a big kid.

I mean, I have to get him relaxed fit jeans or they're too tight, but....I'm going to guess that husky isn't only for bigger kids? 

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM
No husky isn't just for big kids. Its hard to find husky for kiddos that small though. We always bought my son a size up. He's seven now and 8's are too small, even some tens are. He's not a big kid, just carries his weight around the middle. His dad was the same way at this age, and now he's 5'11 and 180. They stay that way on hubbys side until 9 or so. We're looking into husky sizing again, I just hate them because they make husky sizes big everywhere not just the waist. So I think they look funky.

For the record :) - my son is very active and eats healthy to boot.
hizwifie
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:38 AM

he does not look 'husky'  to me

IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM

That's the thing, he's not big in the middle....he has a big butt, but his waist isn't. They even sized him as a 6husky jacket....lol.

My 6 year old is opposite, he's so stinking skinny he can wear 6-9months around the waist but has size 8 legs....so he gets 8slim with adjustable waist.

Clothing sizes are crazy, lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

No husky isn't just for big kids. Its hard to find husky for kiddos that small though. We always bought my son a size up. He's seven now and 8's are too small, even some tens are. He's not a big kid, just carries his weight around the middle. His dad was the same way at this age, and now he's 5'11 and 180. They stay that way on hubbys side until 9 or so. We're looking into husky sizing again, I just hate them because they make husky sizes big everywhere not just the waist. So I think they look funky.

For the record :) - my son is very active and eats healthy to boot.

erikays
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
No, my son is tall and skinny. I have to find those ones with adjustable waist band or use a belt.

He doesn't look "husky" to me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:40 AM

He doesn't look like it to me either...but according to Men's Wearhouse he is...lol. 

Quoting hizwifie:

he does not look 'husky'  to me

IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:43 AM

My oldest is tall and skinny.

The PA at his doctor office told me he was overweight for a 4 year old, but just 2 seconds before that she said he was as tall as the average 6 year old, so I didn't think much of it... 

Quoting erikays:

No, my son is tall and skinny. I have to find those ones with adjustable waist band or use a belt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Husky means it's bigger in the waist and hip/butt area, generally by about 3" but it varies by brand. It's for kids who are too chubby for the length of pants they need. A kid who needs a 6 in length but an 8 in the waist for example would get a 6H or get the 8 and hem them. A kid who needs an 8 in length but a 6 in the waist would need an 8S for slim.

Some stores now don't do a husky size because parents don't like their kids being called husky which is why you buy the relaxed fit instead. It's still sized big for big kids but people don't tend to take offense.
erikays
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Yeah the Dr said my daughter is right at that line of almost being overweight and not. My kids are sooo tall, so they always look bigger. My boys are bean poles.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

My oldest is tall and skinny.

The PA at his doctor office told me he was overweight for a 4 year old, but just 2 seconds before that she said he was as tall as the average 6 year old, so I didn't think much of it... 

Quoting erikays:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:45 AM

That makes sense. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Husky means it's bigger in the waist and hip/butt area, generally by about 3" but it varies by brand. It's for kids who are too chubby for the length of pants they need. A kid who needs a 6 in length but an 8 in the waist for example would get a 6H or get the 8 and hem them. A kid who needs an 8 in length but a 6 in the waist would need an 8S for slim.

Some stores now don't do a husky size because parents don't like their kids being called husky which is why you buy the relaxed fit instead. It's still sized big for big kids but people don't tend to take offense.

erikays
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:45 AM

My oldest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)