Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you pack food for your 8 yr old...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  • 45 Replies

to go to someone elses house???

All these posts about not making separate meals has me thinking of my 8 yr old nephew.  I'm part of the crew that think my kids should eat what is served. I will not force anything on them that I know they hate BUT if they have eaten it before they are expected to eat it again...and I can not revolve what i make for the whole family each night on the moods and whims on preschoolers.

Anyway....my sister in law does.  Well actualy she doesn't really "cook" but thats another story.  But she does ask each kid what they want to each and will prepare (microwave) what each wants.  I think it's ridiculous but hey it's not my house or my kids so why should i care.  BUT what i find CRAZY is that her 8 yr old is so picky that if he goes someone she packs food for him!!!!  And before anyone says anything...NO he does not have any special needs (other then being a brat).  The last time the kids came over to spend the weekend so their parents could go out, he arrived with a bag of food.  poptarts, frozen chicken nuggets, a little thing of easy Mac, and snacks.  My neice goes with the flow and just eats whatever she is given...so this was just for my nephew. 

What is she teaching him with this???  That he can have his way whenever he wants?  That she will cater to his tantrums and demands? What about manners? What about eating healthy at all? Of course i looked at her like the had 6 heads when she handed me a bag of groceries.  She laughs and says "It's just easier then arguing with him."  Is he going to show up to a dinner party when he's 30 with a lunchbox????

Does anyone else find this totally insane and lazy parenting??? I've never seen anything so ridiculous!

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smushy79
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:01 AM
I don't but I guess figure it is less you have to make.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Yep - insane AND lazy.  I would have turned it away, sorry, we don't eat that here.

Two_Hearts
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM

No i do not do that on a regular basis.

However , i do send some money with my DD if her and her friends go to the store or something..

AngelRT
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I will send a lunch box with my kids if they want me too. I dont send junk though. We eat very healthy. 

rockin2_manyMOM
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like she was being conciderate of you. You were nice enough to watch her children for a weekend....maybe she figured the least she could do is make it as easy as possible. That way her kid doesnt go hungry and you dont have a cranky 8 year old that wont eat anything.
ChloeDolce1
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

No i don't think that's what it is.  I have to cook for my own kids anyway...and obviously my neice (the food she sent was for her son only not her daughter because she knew her daughter will eat what i make). She KNOWS I'm not going to make another meal for him.  She wasted her time doing it because i serve him what the other kids are eating.  Sorry, my house my rules

Quoting smushy79:

I don't but I guess figure it is less you have to make.

seraphimsong
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM
No I wouldn't, and I'm with you. I don't run a restaurant so they eat what I make
ratchetlee
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Only if there is a chance of serving pork (even hotdogs have pork) or catfish..... we don't eat those.  Then I will explain to the person why (so they don't get offended - which no one ever has).  

But as long as they aren't serving those things, then my kids KNOW they have to eat what is served!

ETA:  I only make one meal too.  They get choices at breakfast and lunch, but dinner it's what I serve!  Take it or leave it :-)

lindilouwho82
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I am going to tell you what she'll have to deal with in 20 years.

My mom did that shit for my brother, who is now 28 and thinks the world revolves around him. He can't keep a relationship together, can't keep close friends and has a trouble even wanting his family around him.

He was a small baby, sickly, my mom was always scared she was going "to lose him". And from the time he was born til' this very day she caters to him, spoils him, goes out of her away for him. And I think he suffers as an adult because of it, I think he is miserable and unhappy. It's so sad.

I was telling someone else in that other thread; about dinner at my mom's house last week.

He did not like what my mom was making for my sister's birthday. He went on and on complaining and making everyone feel horrible. My step-dad ended up going to Taco Bell for him and he ate his Taco Bell at the dinner table with us. It was super annoying and frustrating!

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM
If I allowed my child to be that picky yes I would pack him food. I wouldn't want him to go hungry.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)