Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Salvation Army or goodwill

Posted by   + Show Post
I have around 700 hundred pieces of clothing to donate, shoes, couches, other furniture, and baby items. Which one benefits communities better and which is less of a hassle to get the tax deduction from?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Go in the store take a look around at what the prices are on the clothes most are just making good money off donations ugh it's like retail! Greedy people. Why not donate it to homeless shelters? Or find needy families? 

CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Oh ok lol

Quoting dawnjohnson5:

Oh, I know. I just picked one and I have no clue what the difference is. Lol

Quoting CM_Junkie:

It's a thrift store

Quoting dawnjohnson5:

Goodwill?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Lol mormons dont like gays either!

Quoting Mamasomedaysoon:

I don't know but I heard the salvation army won't offer help/ hire you if you are gay.

We always donate to the DI.

alf2651
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I'd donate it to Goodwill.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this
goodwill donates less than 10 cents out of every dollar. the ceo makes over 2 mil annually. salvation army donates 90 cents out of every dollar and the ceo makes 60,000 annually. i would never ever donate to goodwill.
Stormy6669
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I had about the same to get rid of. I put an ad on CL and Freecycle and split it up among those who really needed it. They also came to my house to pick up from my porch so I didn't have to deal with hauling it away.

AleaKat
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Salvation Army!
The goodwill around here is turning into such a corporation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I've been looking for needy families and shelters in the area. All I've found is people trying to pick items up saying they are needy then I catch them at a garage sale or the worst was selling it in a consignment shop. As far as shelters/churches we are in a Mennonite community and the church/shelters I've found they wouldn't even let my husband in because of his job and they only keep the help in their community(faith) which I don't agree with.

Quoting Anonymous:

Go in the store take a look around at what the prices are on the clothes most are just making good money off donations ugh it's like retail! Greedy people. Why not donate it to homeless shelters? Or find needy families? 

mary841108
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM

i donate to our local community mission, dh works there so he can take it in with him in the morning. as for tax deductions, i dont donate to get something out of it, we never do the tax thing. i donate because i want to not to get money out of it.

mouthyhousewife
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Goodwill!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)