Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Salvation Army or goodwill

Posted by   + Show Post
I have around 700 hundred pieces of clothing to donate, shoes, couches, other furniture, and baby items. Which one benefits communities better and which is less of a hassle to get the tax deduction from?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Replies (31-40):
CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM
The tax deduction is going to a family in need. Don't judge before you know the facts

Quoting mary841108:

i donate to our local community mission, dh works there so he can take it in with him in the morning. as for tax deductions, i dont donate to get something out of it, we never do the tax thing. i donate because i want to not to get money out of it.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM

WE do salvation army since it is local

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Quoting cmc638:

Goodwill I would never support the salvation army with everything they stand for

mary841108
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM

wasn't judging, just saying.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

The tax deduction is going to a family in need. Don't judge before you know the facts

Quoting mary841108:

i donate to our local community mission, dh works there so he can take it in with him in the morning. as for tax deductions, i dont donate to get something out of it, we never do the tax thing. i donate because i want to not to get money out of it.

Brittanyo
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM

There are some thrift stores that don't try make huge money off donations and they do it for a cause you just need to look don't use the big name thrift stores I always look for the small ones with decent prices needy people can actually afford.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

I've been looking for needy families and shelters in the area. All I've found is people trying to pick items up saying they are needy then I catch them at a garage sale or the worst was selling it in a consignment shop. As far as shelters/churches we are in a Mennonite community and the church/shelters I've found they wouldn't even let my husband in because of his job and they only keep the help in their community(faith) which I don't agree with.

Quoting Anonymous:

Go in the store take a look around at what the prices are on the clothes most are just making good money off donations ugh it's like retail! Greedy people. Why not donate it to homeless shelters? Or find needy families? 

the4mutts
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Depends on your area. In my area, goodwill or the women's shelter are the best bets, as the salvation army employees are assholes, and they vastly overprice everything in their store. Goodwill hires more people, therefore giving oportunity.
But you have to go by your area. Some goodwills are disgusting places, some shelters are "shifty" in their practices.
My advice, google your local places, and read customer reviews, then decide.
CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM
It was a snide and judgmental comment plain and obvious.

Quoting mary841108:

wasn't judging, just saying.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

Quoting mary841108:

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Goodwill employs people with disabilities. I used to work for them as a janitor. I tend to prefer them.

CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I will see about that. If I can find a women's shelter I'm going to take it there simply because of my past. Hopefully I can find one

Quoting the4mutts:

Depends on your area. In my area, goodwill or the women's shelter are the best bets, as the salvation army employees are assholes, and they vastly overprice everything in their store. Goodwill hires more people, therefore giving oportunity.

But you have to go by your area. Some goodwills are disgusting places, some shelters are "shifty" in their practices.

My advice, google your local places, and read customer reviews, then decide.

Mamasomedaysoon
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

True but that doesn't mean they don't get help if they need it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN