Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Selling my car

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM
  • 41 Replies
I have a 2010 hhr. I love the car but with us ttc its just 2 small for us. So I am trying to sell it on Facebook and craigslist. I'm not having any luck with it. We are asking the payoff on it which is 13,000 . I think we got the car for more than its worth. We took it to carmax and they offered us 9,000 for it. Our payments are 330 a month and we just can't keep paying that if we are going to buy a bigger place. I was praying we could sell the car at payoff and then buy me a 03 Tahoe which is what I really want. My first car was an 03 Tahoe. I called and spoke with our finance company earlier and they told me I could surrender it and I'd have to pay what they didn't make off it at auction and it would be on my credit for 7-10 years.
I can also do as I planned and sell it outright.
I applied for a reduction for 6 months. Hopefully that will come thru and give us a few months to get it sold but my husband refuses to move until the car is gone.

What am I suppose to do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM
4 moms liked this

13,000 for an HHR is ridiculous. 

BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Its a 2010 and in excellent shape. O ly had 40,000 miles when we got it. Still smelled like a new car. But I agree. It is a lot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Did you buy it in 2010 and how much did you pay for it when you bought it?

Iamlegion
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Look up the Kelly Blue Book Value and try to sell it at that. You probably owe way more than its worth. You might be better off trading it in and absorbing the negative equity on the Tahoe if your credit can handle it. Your payment will be higher, though. 

I have experience in the car business.

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Quoting Lyssa0587:

Did you buy it in 2010 and how much did you pay for it when you bought it? How many miles are on it now?

JZB
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Save the difference of what you can sell it for. The likely hood of you getting 13,000 for it is min. Also those aren't vehicles people always want. You are going to take a loss because you are most likely upside down on it. The reason I would never get a car loan without a large down payment
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM
We bought it a year ago this month and it was 15,000 I think

Quoting Lyssa0587:

Did you buy it in 2010 and how much did you pay for it when you bought it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I just tried to look it up. There wasn't an option for hhr on kbb

And I don't want a payment. I want to pay for the Tahoe in cash.

Quoting Iamlegion:

Look up the Kelly Blue Book Value and try to sell it at that. You probably owe way more than its worth. You might be better off trading it in and absorbing the negative equity on the Tahoe if your credit can handle it. Your payment will be higher, though. 

I have experience in the car business.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I wouldnt pay 13000 for a car that's 13 yrs old lmao
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

it doesn't really matter what it smelled like when you bought it.  what's the blue book on it?  I wouldn't pay 13k for a 3 year old car.

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Its a 2010 and in excellent shape. O ly had 40,000 miles when we got it. Still smelled like a new car. But I agree. It is a lot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)