Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Spanking your child more than 2 x in 6 months is considered abuse.

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 25 Replies
I Do NOT abuse my kids, but I do spank them. I will say I I have spanked them more than 2x in 6 months. I don't get how that is abuse? I don't get how spanking your kids is abuse. I don't use a belt, or wire, or a wet cord. I don't leave bruises either. So why aren't parents allowed to discipline an spank children with out having to worry about being called a bad parent and investigated for abuse.
Do you agree with this?

Factors that increase the likelihood that parents will use physical punishment include their culture, knowledge and attitudes towards spanking, religion, income, and education. Parents who are most likely to spank have:

• Experience with physical punishment as a child13

• Lesser knowledge of child development

• Lower socioeconomic leve

• Lower level of education

• Greater religiosity, particularly conservative Protestants

• Positive attitude toward use of physical punishment
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kitschy
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Who considers it abuse? I don't keep up with this sort of thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Im guessing this is in your state....

allycally
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM
What about really horrible children?.. I m just kidding I do not spank my kiddos.. I can effectively disciple them in other ways
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Well, ok. 

momsince04
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I guess that's what researchers believe, and what a mom on here thinks as well.
Muffins89
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM
3 moms liked this

I would not consider that abuse... that is ridiculous. There is definitely a difference between abuse and a spanking. And frankly, sometimes kids need that swat on their butt to learn a lesson. (and i don't literally mean just swat their butt once and that be it, referring to legitimate spankings as well). if you arent leaving bruises or anything then clearly you aren't hitting them that hard, and it doesn't take hitting them hard to learn a lesson anyway..for those that spanking works with anyway. doesn't work with mine lol. 

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this
If that is abuse, practically every child I grew up with, along with myself, was abused. Lol. I'm glad I was spanked as a child. I don't even want to think of the trouble I would have caused for myself if I didn't know that my behind could be torn up for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gcstar42
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never heard that in my life lol. Where did that come from? I don't spank for every little thing but I do spank occasionally and definately more than 2 times in 6 months.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM
3 moms liked this
No clue. All I think is way back in the day when everyone spanked their kids, kids were a lot more respectful, and they didn't do have the dumb shit they do now and days....just saying.
Kitschy
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Quoting momsince04:

I guess that's what researchers believe, and what a mom on here thinks as well.

Lots of moms on here think spanking your child ever is abuse. I wouldn't use this board for a barometer of anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)