Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My car got repoed last night

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies
I feel bitter sweet about it.

We were planning on letting it go back, because it doesn't fit our needs anymore and it had a ridiculously high interest rate, but we thought we had a little more time or would at least have a little more notice.

They literally knocked on our door at midnight last night and already had it hooked up to the tow truck. They said the only reason they knocked was because they saw the three car seats in the back and thought we might want to get them back and the rest of our stuff. Which I'm really thankful for because the bag with my youngest medicine in it was in the trunk.

I had just talked to the finance company last week and they said they could redo the loan if I could give them at least half of the past due amount, which was $1200. I told the loan officer that the most I could give her was one payment which would be $400. But they weren't willing to accept that since we were so far behind. When I talked to her she didn't say anything about reposing soon.

We were hoping we could hold off until we got our taxes back so we could pay cash and get something decent.

Now we are having to buy something with less than 1K. We need a midsize SUV or a van. DH found a few things that he is checking out today.

I feel terrible about it and I hate that I'm going to have to drive a "junker" but I know it is a good decision. We will be saving about $500 a month once you factor insurance and the payments.

The car I had was pretty nice. It was only a few years old, but it was too small for our family and just too much money every month.

I guess I would rather have an eye sore car and have food on the table and diapers on my babies butts than a nice car. As long as my family can fit in it and it doesn't break down on me and can get me around town than it is all I need.

Eta due to medical bills we acquired while without insurance we are going to have to file bankruptcy anyways. My DH is self employed and everything he makes is either cash or 1099 so we aren't worried about his wages being garnished.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
3 moms liked this
That was nice that they let you get the cat seats. Usually they don't give a hoot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

That was nice that they let you get the cat seats. Usually they don't give a hoot.

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I'm sorry, that sucks :(

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM
That would scare me. They're still going to want that past due amount.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM

What kind of car was it?

kjbennett26
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Glad they let you get the carseats.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I would have hugged the guy for letting me get the seats. Normally they just take it and go because of the risks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Yeah it would have sucked to have to track that down. Not to mention my DS medicine was in the car.

We went over to my parents house last night to watch the football game ( because we don't have cable) and it was a late night and his bag got forgotten.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Why didn't you just trade it in for something else? Why did you get a car that didnt fit your family and couldn't afford it the first place?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM
5 moms liked this

Behind $2,400 @ $400 a month and you thought you'd have more time? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)