Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Quick. Emergency.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Where can I get carseats and booster seats free or extremely cheap, immediately?

CPS just called, they are removing my step kids from their home and wanted to see if we would take them or if they needed to go into foster care. Obviously we are taking them. Planning on leaving in an hour or two, (it is a 12 hour drive)

My problem is, I dont have car seats or boosters for them. I really cant afford to go buy 4 new ones, although I will if I have too. Any ideas where to get some asap for cheap? any help would be appreciated

Eta: Thanks ladies, I knew you could help fast. I am headed to Walmart.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Why would you think a police station would have car seats? They don't.

Quoting xanayda:

Police department might have some. Can you borrow one or 2 from a friend or relative? :(

TaylorBaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM

i am talking about childrens consignment stores, all the ones i go to check before they buy them from you. 

Quoting brittany208:

You should NEVER buy a car seat used because you don't know if its been in an accident. Are consignment shops even allowed to sell them?

Quoting TaylorBaby:

consignment shop.

nataliesmom2012
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Check with the fire or police station. You can also find them cheap at Walmart. Are the car seats that BM has for them safe? I would talk to CPS about getting them too.

lovehimforever
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Your local health department
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nataliesmom2012
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM

They do around here.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting xanayda:

Police department might have some. Can you borrow one or 2 from a friend or relative? :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Most consignment shops in fl can buy brand new carseats still in the box. They can't buy used ones. They definitely can't resell used ones even of they buy them.

Quoting brittany208:

You should NEVER buy a car seat used because you don't know if its been in an accident. Are consignment shops even allowed to sell them?

Quoting TaylorBaby:

consignment shop.

mary841108
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM

walmart or even call your local police dept. sometimes they have them for free.

mary841108
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM

some actually do. ours does and about once a month they do a safety fair where you can go and get one for free but they give them out all year round. i got one because the one we had was recalled.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting xanayda:

tnt1014
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM
How old are the children?

Walmart usually has booster seats and car seats for cheap. They will work in a pinch and get you through until you can get something better.

I agree with the others though that said try the fire station or the local police station. Also ask the CPS worker if they can help you out. If not you have Walmart as your back up. It would be nice to not have to buy the seats because I'm sure the kids are going to need lots of other things when they get to you. When our God daughters were placed with us (same situation) they came only with the clothes on their backs. Fortunately for us they were already with us part time so we had car seats,beds,clothes and what not.

Good luck! It's not going to be easy that's for sure. If you need to talk to some one who has been through a similar situation PM me :o)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM

D they not already have these where they are at that they can take with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)