Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm pregnant with my dog's baby!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

My husband usually claims 3 on his withholdings and I claim 0.  When we file our taxes, we put his info in first and we always show that we owe taxes from him until I put my info in.  After that we get maybe a thousand back.  I started working on our taxes for our refund this year and as it stands, we are getting $5800 back, and I still haven't put in all of the stuff we can claim.  We had a ton of medical bills last year plus a new baby so maybe that's why it's so big, but holy cow.  Our income was $20k less than the year before too. We have never had that big of a return back, and honestly, I'd rather have that money on our paychecks instead of one lump sum at the end of the year.  It may be time to change our withholdings... hwo do I know what to claim? Or wait another year to see if it's the same, minus the medical expenses??

And before everyone goes apeshit, we made almost $80k last year so we are far from poor, which would be the first assumption about this post. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM

bump. not exciting enough?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM

bump

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:20 PM

why so low on your claims? 

20k is low income. i would think that you could claim 6 (thats what we claim) or at least more than 3. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM

THANK YOU for responding :)

We are a family of 4 and our taxes have always kidn of evened out for us.  Kind of like an extra paycheck once a year, ya know?  But we have over $20k in medical expenses (out of pocket) to pay plus a new baby... so maybe that's why it's so high.  This year we hope to not have those medical expenses, so I don't know if we need to hold out and wait or what.

What we've claimed in the past has always been sufficient - now we're claiming another child so we had no idea what that would do for our taxes.  Since hubby claims the kids I figured I would need to claim 0.  How do you know what you're supposed to withhold?

Also... we made almost $80k last year... which was $20k below our usual income.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

20k is low income. i would think that you could claim 6 (thats what we claim) or at least more than 3. 

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM

LOL now your talking a foreign language to me :P 

All i know is i always do 6 exemptions, and 10% on the other part (is that the withholding?) 

Quoting Anonymous:

We are a family of 4 and our taxes have always kidn of evened out for us.  Kind of like an extra paycheck once a year, ya know?  But we have over $20k in medical expenses (out of pocket) to pay plus a new baby... so maybe that's why it's so high.  This year we hope to not have those medical expenses, so I don't know if we need to hold out and wait or what.

What we've claimed in the past has always been sufficient - now we're claiming another child so we had no idea what that would do for our taxes.  Since hubby claims the kids I figured I would need to claim 0.  How do you know what you're supposed to withhold?

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM

LOL.  How many children do you have?

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

All i know is i always do 6 exemptions, and 10% on the other part (is that the withholding?) 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

itsallabtthem84
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I would wait until next year before changing anything up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM

thank you

Quoting itsallabtthem84:

I would wait until next year before changing anything up.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Just 1. But children arent the only excemptions on the worksheet. 

let me see if i can find an example. 

Ok here it is. (mine is in red)

A: enter 1 for yourself if no one else claims you as a dependant

B: enter 1 if you are single and have one job, OR married and your spouse does not work, OR your wages from a second job or spouses job are 1500 or less 1

C: 1 for your spouse, but you can choose to enter 0 if your spouse is working or you have more than one job

D: number of dependants other than your spouse or yourself 1

E:  1 if you file head of household 

F: 1 if you have at least 1900 of child or dependant care expenses you plan to claim as credit

G: child tax credit, if total is less than 65k (95k if married) enter 2 for each child  2

if total income is 65k to 84k (95k-119k) one for each child

Add lines A through G

So i guess we actually could claim 7. 

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL.  How many children do you have?

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN