Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He is 22 months and I spanked his bottom!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 188 Replies
7 moms liked this

Come on and tell me I am a horrible mother! LMAO

My daredevil son was climbing on the easy chair in the living room and trying to jump off (I've taken to calling him my mini-Evel Kneivel, lol)

So I grabbed him and popped his butt (once). He cried but I think he understood not to climb on the chair anymore.

I'd much rather have him cry for a second over a swat on the butt than jump or fall and get a broken arm/leg/neck or worse.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
danie24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM
12 moms liked this

That's an agressive, lazy and uneducated way to parent.

I find it sad that you actually believe that being violent and causing physical pain is the only way to teach or punish a child :(

Poor little guy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM
3 moms liked this

LMFAO! What would you have done since you are so educated and not lazy? I really want to know how you would have handled this situation since you seem to think I did it "wrong" haha

Quoting danie24:

I find it sad that you actually believe that being violent and causing physical pain is the only way to teach or punish a child :(

Poor little guy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM

bump

Traci_Momof2
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM

OK?  Did you want a medal or something?

Your post reads like you think the only two options are spanking or falling.  Sad state of affairs in parenting.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM
7 moms liked this

I suggest taking a few parenting classes if you're truly being serious and have no idea how to discipline or teach your child in a way that doesn't involve causing them physical pain.

Redirection.. child proofing.. rewarding positive behaviour.. permitting logical consequences.. time outs.. remove privileges.. take away something special.. TALK to the child.. establish CONSISTANT rules and consequences..

There are so many things you could have done other than hurt him.

My babies use to climb furniture, too. Guess what! My husband and I used our brains instead of our hands. Crazy concept, huh?

We baby proofed where we could (gates are wonderful things.. and closing doors, too!) Redirection was the most simple option. When our baby started climbing the couch, we would give him something FUN to do. We would play with him, keep him busy, sit him at the table far away from the piece of furniture he wanted to climb and gave him play-doh or crayons.. or dumped out a recycling bag full of cereal and cracker boxes. It's not that hard to keep a child busy and entertained if you're an involved parent who pays attention.

Time outs also work wonders. Especially if you're consistent.

Quoting Anonymous:

LMFAO! What would you have done since you are so educated and not lazy? I really want to know how you would have handled this situation since you seem to think I did it "wrong" haha

Quoting danie24:

Poor little guy.

aleatra.r
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM
8 moms liked this
I would have done the same exact thing! People these days seem to think that spanking your child is horrible. But sometimes that's the only way to get the message across to an unruly child. And i look at it this way; thats how parents have been doing it for generations and it works.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
piratehooker
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Whoop tie doo. Do you want a medal?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM

One day I let my son fall on accident..he was  climbing up on the dining room chair and standing i kept telling him to quit taking him down redirecting him all the things the non spanking moms on here will tell u to do ..he didn't listen ..i went to get the food out of the oven and he climbed up there and tipped the chair. I thought he broke his fingers it was scary. I should have given him a smack...but he did learn the hard way...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Yeah, another poster just told me I need parenting classes and to babyproof my house better. For Gods sake it was ONE swat on the butt and he cried for less than 30 seconds. My child is very hyper, stubborn, and he has to learn. Time outs don't work he isn't even 2 yet.

Quoting aleatra.r:

I would have done the same exact thing! People these days seem to think that spanking your child is horrible. But sometimes that's the only way to get the message across to an unruly child. And they i look at it that how parents have been doing it for generations and it works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN