Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

clean your plate rule

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 106 Replies
Do you force your kids to eat everything on there plate? Just all the veggies? No rule?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrunchyBran
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM
7 moms liked this

No, I feel it encourages poor eating habits, like ignoring when our bodies tell us we're full.  We do have a rule that you have to at least try a bite of something new, but that's about it.

WithHope
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I teach them to eat until their full. To me, forcing them to clear their plates would encourage over eating. That said, they know not to come begging for snacks if they only picked at their last meal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonGrace
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM
They have to try everything. I encourage them to eat, but we absolutely do not have a clean your plate rule. I think it is poor parenting to make kids clean the plate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting CrunchyBran:

No, I feel it encourages poor eating habits, like ignoring when our bodies tell us we're full.  We do have a rule that you have to at least try a bite of something new, but that's about it.

This exactly.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I try to portion it for their age. I don't worry about plate cleaning.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM

The only one that cleans their plate around here is the dog.....

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM

He just has to take a bite of everything before I will make him something else. 

tab022308
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM

No we don't have that rule as I believe too it creates a bad eating habit of thinking you have to finish everything regardless of how full you are..you do however have to have at least one bite of each. Meat veggies starch etc..I also do not make a separate meal you eat what you get don't want it that's fine you can wait till the next meal..if I feel it because she truly doesn't like it after trying then ill make something else

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:13 PM
If she only has a little more to go then yes. And that is like 2 or 3 more bites. But more than that no.
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:13 PM

We have no clean plate rule. Way too much research indicates that those sorts of rules can lead to eating disorders and other issues.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)