Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So this will probably blow up into a HUGE debate...BUT...Car Seats & Snowsuits/Winter Coats (edited with pix added)

Posted by   + Show Post

Winter Coats and Car seats...

I see A LOT of people saying 'don't put your child in a car seat in a winter coat or a snowsuit, it's dangerous.' I have asked my child's DR and even the Head of the NICU unit she was in when she was born. Both say it is assining and perfectly fine to place your child in their car seat with their snow suit or coat as long as when they aren't wearing it you readjust the straps. I have searched online and I only see parents opinions...no car seat crash test with a winter coat or snowsuit with a child being ejected from their seat...

SOOOO....Who puts their child in their car seat with a snow suit or Coat...and who doesn't?

***I need to add, my Daughter is normally in her fleece, she is a little furnace and our car gets heated fairly quickly, I do carry along her snowsuit if I know it will be REALLY cold though. But I am not against putting her in a coat or snowsuit if the weather is cold...

***Another edit...Our carseat was installed by the police dept AND a certified car seat tech who even told us (because she was only 4lbs 1oz the day we took her home) that we could take a washcloth and roll it up in the crotch area as well (we didn't) There are 6 Dr's in her Pedi office and they all say it is fine. Along with the head of NICU. I asked simply because a lot of people on my Facebook have been posting about it. I have googled and can not find anything but parents videos. Is there a video with the actual crash test dummies???

***Personally, my Daughter goes in the carseat depending on weather. Normally she is just in a fleece or a light snow suit. I have had her in a thick snowsuit on extremely cold days. When I brought her home the end of September we had her in her regular car seat just to carry her to the car. She was too small for her regular seat and a car seat tech that was working with a police station gave and installed a preemie car seat for us. The first picture is in what she sits in now (now she is a 10lb 8oz 4m old) The other pictures are her in our car in her preemie seat the day she came home and the day after to her Dr appt. Then one of her preemie car seat and one of her the day after we brought her home and now at 4 months on our small dog (oh no!! lol yes, I hear how it is so unsafe from my Mother in Law...) AND before anyone bashes me about her straps above her shoulders...This was a brand new Graco Preemie car seat we got from a certified car seat tech who installed it in our car at a car seat and inspection site. He put the pool noodles there. I never even knew they made Preemie car seats, this is a 2lb and up and on the smallest size it can go, the lowest strap slot as well. For about 2 months she traveled in her preemie seat then we would transfer her to her 'big girl seat' when we were going into the store or wherever...yes, take her out, put her in the other, put it in the cart the whole shabang...but she didn't travel in her infant seat until she was just over 5lbs. (Graco Snugride 35)

Here are a few more of her winter attires....

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Replies (521-530):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 49 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Your car seat is not installed properly. It needs a base not just the belt strapped across it.
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Quoting -_-:

Are you kidding? This is a nice entertainment break from my evening. Like I said Squishy, I miss having a puppy to follow me around!!! Talk to you soon!!!!
Charliesmommy11
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM
They have to do all of those things yes but they also have to meet the weight requirement. Rules are rules for a reason , seats don't come equipped to safely transport a 2lb baby. We spent the last 2 weeks of our nicu stay (112 days total ) waiting on those last few ounces so he could pass the car seat test. I'm not trying to start an argument but your not the only mom in the world who's ever brought home a preemie so 99% of your statements are false , inaccurate , and unsafe.

I bought and took back three car seats before we found one he properly fit in with the straps as tight as they would go , the police officer on duty came to our car to check that the base was properly installed and signed off on the car seat study. We then started the four hour long discharge process which included signing about a dozen different papers, three videos , and two consultations with the neonatologist on call that day.

I promise you though , there is no such thing as a preemie seat , there are seats like the Chicco key fit 30 which can safely transport a 4 lb baby ( you have to call the manufacturer to ask about 4 lbs since what's listed is 5lbs).

Quoting tnkrbell860:

The NICU she was in said they don't go by weight anymore. They have to eat, keep their temperature and go to the bathroom a certain ammount...idk...odd to me because I always thought they had to be at least 5lbs

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

Btw NO carseat on the market is approved for babies at 2lbs , that's why hospitals won't release them until 4-5lbs at bare minimum.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM
My kids all wear wool coats which are not thick. When they were babies we used car seat covers and blankets after they were strapped in.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
-_-
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:55 PM
No. I'm not kidding. You look like an idiot. But we all know what they say about simple minds.... or did that saying go over your head? Eh, this last word thing is boring. Have it, then latch on to someone else. And Remember, after you start talking to them, ask why they're talking to you. Then ask them again. And again. Stay true to yourself, little buddy. You can do it!

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting -_-:

Are you kidding? This is a nice entertainment break from my evening. Like I said Squishy, I miss having a puppy to follow me around!!! Talk to you soon!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Quoting -_-:

You lurve me so much. Squeal.
tnkrbell860
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM

explain...please

Quoting Anonymous:

Op those car seat pictures are a nightmare.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM
The harness is coming from above her shoulders, it's not reclined enough and that is causing her head slump which cuts off oxygen and is very dangerous for babies to start off.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

explain...please

Quoting Anonymous:

Op those car seat pictures are a nightmare.

tnkrbell860
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM

ok...first of all not ALL preemies need a car bed. and second this was a brand new preemie car seat given to us on loan from a car seat tech. How was I being stubborn and selfish because a licensed car seat tech installed a preemie seat in our car for our preemie daughter?? If I placed her in a regular car seat that I installed myself without giving it two thoughts...you would have every right to say what you are...I love how you know nothing about the seat other than seeing a picture but are going to judge it...seriously?

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Preemies sometimes need a Car Bed, but they look entirely different than what you have in be pic.

That old, junky brown seat she is in does NOT fit her all!

Straps must come from at or below shoulders, and hers are Way above! You are lucky you didn't kill your baby because you want to be stubborn and selfish .

Quoting tnkrbell860:

This seat....Chicco KeyFit 30 (4-30 lbs) 

Quoting MamaPeanut:

OP, that seat did NOT it get at all as a newborn!!

How could you just risk her life like that?!

The straps should come from at or Below shoulders die rear facing and they are way above hers. You needed to buy her a decent seat, rather than use what is obviously a used, older piece of crap!

tnkrbell860
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:24 PM

ok..because the ONLY puffy thing she has is the snowsuit in the last picture...which is what I bring in the car in case it gets EXTREMELY cold....all the others in the pics are fleece. and the first few pics she doesn't even have a jacket on...

Quoting Anonymous:

She isn't strapped in properly and she's wearing puffy jackets. For her sake I'm glad you've been lucky so far but you really need to get educated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)