Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So this will probably blow up into a HUGE debate...BUT...Car Seats & Snowsuits/Winter Coats (edited with pix added)

Posted by   + Show Post

Winter Coats and Car seats...

I see A LOT of people saying 'don't put your child in a car seat in a winter coat or a snowsuit, it's dangerous.' I have asked my child's DR and even the Head of the NICU unit she was in when she was born. Both say it is assining and perfectly fine to place your child in their car seat with their snow suit or coat as long as when they aren't wearing it you readjust the straps. I have searched online and I only see parents opinions...no car seat crash test with a winter coat or snowsuit with a child being ejected from their seat...

SOOOO....Who puts their child in their car seat with a snow suit or Coat...and who doesn't?

***I need to add, my Daughter is normally in her fleece, she is a little furnace and our car gets heated fairly quickly, I do carry along her snowsuit if I know it will be REALLY cold though. But I am not against putting her in a coat or snowsuit if the weather is cold...

***Another edit...Our carseat was installed by the police dept AND a certified car seat tech who even told us (because she was only 4lbs 1oz the day we took her home) that we could take a washcloth and roll it up in the crotch area as well (we didn't) There are 6 Dr's in her Pedi office and they all say it is fine. Along with the head of NICU. I asked simply because a lot of people on my Facebook have been posting about it. I have googled and can not find anything but parents videos. Is there a video with the actual crash test dummies???

***Personally, my Daughter goes in the carseat depending on weather. Normally she is just in a fleece or a light snow suit. I have had her in a thick snowsuit on extremely cold days. When I brought her home the end of September we had her in her regular car seat just to carry her to the car. She was too small for her regular seat and a car seat tech that was working with a police station gave and installed a preemie car seat for us. The first picture is in what she sits in now (now she is a 10lb 8oz 4m old) The other pictures are her in our car in her preemie seat the day she came home and the day after to her Dr appt. Then one of her preemie car seat and one of her the day after we brought her home and now at 4 months on our small dog (oh no!! lol yes, I hear how it is so unsafe from my Mother in Law...) AND before anyone bashes me about her straps above her shoulders...This was a brand new Graco Preemie car seat we got from a certified car seat tech who installed it in our car at a car seat and inspection site. He put the pool noodles there. I never even knew they made Preemie car seats, this is a 2lb and up and on the smallest size it can go, the lowest strap slot as well. For about 2 months she traveled in her preemie seat then we would transfer her to her 'big girl seat' when we were going into the store or wherever...yes, take her out, put her in the other, put it in the cart the whole shabang...but she didn't travel in her infant seat until she was just over 5lbs. (Graco Snugride 35)

Here are a few more of her winter attires....

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Replies (551-560):
tnkrbell860
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

And here we go again...really those are the ONLY seats rated 4lbs? Because, no...they aren't....2 of the 3 you stated aren't even listed here...but it's fine, you believe what you want...I will believe what I want

Updated List of Recommended Carseats for Preemies & Multiples

Chicco KeyFit 30 (4-30 lbs) and the original model Chicco KeyFit (rated from 4-22 lbs only; usually sold with stroller as part of a travel system). FULL REVIEW OF KEYFIT 30 HERE

Safety 1st onBoard 35onBoard 35 Air & onBoard 35 Air SE (“Air” models have premium base and Air-Protect Technology).   All onBoard models are rated from 4-35 lbs. FULL REVIEW OF ONBOARD 35 AIR HERE

Safety 1st Comfy Carry Elite Plus – budget-friendly; 4-22 lbs. Stick to the “Elite Plus” model since that’s the only version of the Comfy Carry that has an adjustable base. FULL REVIEW HERE 

Britax Chaperone  - Anti-rebound bar; 4-30 lbs - FULL REVIEW HERE

Britax B-Safe –  rated from 4-30 lbs. FULL REVIEW HERE

Evenflo Embrace 35 – Another budget-friendly option; 4-35 lbs. FULL REVIEW HERE

Graco SnugRide 35 – specifically the new model with the updated infant insert; new models are rated from 4-35 lbs. We do NOT recommend the SR35 models rated from 5-35 lbs for preemies or low birthweight infants.FULL REVIEW OF NEW SNUGRIDE 35 HERE

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Aside from a Car Bed (which hospitals do loan to babies who cannot pass a car seat test), there is no such thing as a "preemie" seat. That brown death trap you had your baby in is just a regular Evenflo or Graco infant seat.

The only seats rated from 4 pounds (common preemie size) are the Combi Shuttle, CCO, and Chicco KeyFit.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

ok...first of all not ALL preemies need a car bed. and second this was a brand new preemie car seat given to us on loan from a car seat tech. How was I being stubborn and selfish because a licensed car seat tech installed a preemie seat in our car for our preemie daughter?? If I placed her in a regular car seat that I installed myself without giving it two thoughts...you would have every right to say what you are...I love how you know nothing about the seat other than seeing a picture but are going to judge it...seriously?

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Preemies sometimes need a Car Bed, but they look entirely different than what you have in be pic.

That old, junky brown seat she is in does NOT fit her all!

Straps must come from at or below shoulders, and hers are Way above! You are lucky you didn't kill your baby because you want to be stubborn and selfish .

Quoting tnkrbell860:

This seat....Chicco KeyFit 30 (4-30 lbs) 

Quoting MamaPeanut:

OP, that seat did NOT it get at all as a newborn!!

How could you just risk her life like that?!

The straps should come from at or Below shoulders die rear facing and they are way above hers. You needed to buy her a decent seat, rather than use what is obviously a used, older piece of crap!

tnkrbell860
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Ok, believe what you want. It's not being defensive, it's about people trying to tell me what her car seat was or wasn't by a picture. Until they saw it in person they have absolutely no right to say it was old, expired, installed wrong etc...

Quoting imvanilla:

You suck at carseat safety.

Maybe stop being defensive and actually listen to people and you'll learn something.

imvanilla
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM
You decided to post on an open forum.

Your own picture evidence is enough to show that you know squat about carseat safety.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

Ok, believe what you want. It's not being defensive, it's about people trying to tell me what her car seat was or wasn't by a picture. Until they saw it in person they have absolutely no right to say it was old, expired, installed wrong etc...

Quoting imvanilla:

Maybe stop being defensive and actually listen to people and you'll learn something.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tnkrbell860
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Sure..if that is what you believe, cuz I bet she is SOOOO unsafe in her regular car seat now as well too :D

Quoting imvanilla:

Your own picture evidence is enough to show that you know squat about carseat safety.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

Quoting imvanilla:

roxiekittie
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow idk why everyone on here is so mean! I know this girl personally, and she is by far the best mother in the world to that little girl!  She always wanted a baby, and she would never do anything to harm this child!  I understand everyone ins entitled to their own opinions but I dont understand why be so mean to someone! its really immature! 

Crashly
by Ashley on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I'm not going through all 55 pages so I just want to know where her head/neck support piece is?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Yikes! That car seat is kinda big. Poor kiddo. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imvanilla
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Well if you are still improperly positioning the chest clip and using heavy winter coats in the seat then yes, yes she is unsafe.

I am telling you that your 'certified' tech was wrong. The hospital doctors aren't certified.

Every pic you posted includes something incorrect.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

Sure..if that is what you believe, cuz I bet she is SOOOO unsafe in her regular car seat now as well too :D

Quoting imvanilla:

Quoting tnkrbell860:

Quoting imvanilla:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Your seat doesnt look like any of those...

Quoting tnkrbell860:

And here we go again...really those are the ONLY seats rated 4lbs? Because, no...they aren't....2 of the 3 you stated aren't even listed here...but it's fine, you believe what you want...I will believe what I want

Updated List of Recommended Carseats for Preemies & Multiples

Chicco KeyFit 30 (4-30 lbs) and the original model Chicco KeyFit (rated from 4-22 lbs only; usually sold with stroller as part of a travel system). FULL REVIEW OF KEYFIT 30 HERE

Safety 1st onBoard 35onBoard 35 Air & onBoard 35 Air SE (“Air” models have premium base and Air-Protect Technology).   All onBoard models are rated from 4-35 lbs. FULL REVIEW OF ONBOARD 35 AIR HERE

Safety 1st Comfy Carry Elite Plus – budget-friendly; 4-22 lbs. Stick to the “Elite Plus” model since that’s the only version of the Comfy Carry that has an adjustable base. FULL REVIEW HERE 

Britax Chaperone  - Anti-rebound bar; 4-30 lbs - FULL REVIEW HERE

Britax B-Safe –  rated from 4-30 lbs. FULL REVIEW HERE

Evenflo Embrace 35 – Another budget-friendly option; 4-35 lbs. FULL REVIEW HERE

Graco SnugRide 35 – specifically the new model with the updated infant insert; new models are rated from 4-35 lbs. We do NOT recommend the SR35 models rated from 5-35 lbs for preemies or low birthweight infants.FULL REVIEW OF NEW SNUGRIDE 35 HERE

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Aside from a Car Bed (which hospitals do loan to babies who cannot pass a car seat test), there is no such thing as a "preemie" seat. That brown death trap you had your baby in is just a regular Evenflo or Graco infant seat.

The only seats rated from 4 pounds (common preemie size) are the Combi Shuttle, CCO, and Chicco KeyFit.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

ok...first of all not ALL preemies need a car bed. and second this was a brand new preemie car seat given to us on loan from a car seat tech. How was I being stubborn and selfish because a licensed car seat tech installed a preemie seat in our car for our preemie daughter?? If I placed her in a regular car seat that I installed myself without giving it two thoughts...you would have every right to say what you are...I love how you know nothing about the seat other than seeing a picture but are going to judge it...seriously?

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Preemies sometimes need a Car Bed, but they look entirely different than what you have in be pic.

That old, junky brown seat she is in does NOT fit her all!

Straps must come from at or below shoulders, and hers are Way above! You are lucky you didn't kill your baby because you want to be stubborn and selfish .

Quoting tnkrbell860:

This seat....Chicco KeyFit 30 (4-30 lbs) 

Quoting MamaPeanut:

OP, that seat did NOT it get at all as a newborn!!

How could you just risk her life like that?!

The straps should come from at or Below shoulders die rear facing and they are way above hers. You needed to buy her a decent seat, rather than use what is obviously a used, older piece of crap!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weaveress
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I always did, just made sure they was snuggly in there with the straps. and when I saw the first post about that accident, I asked DH and he said with Lilee's weight and height. Physcially it is not possibly for her to go flying like that if she was in the car seat properly and it fastened to the car properly. He's my engineer so... physics, volacity, torque etc is all his expertise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN