Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lazy Parenting or Smart Parenting? Added edit.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Potty Training

Options:

Not actively potty training is lazy.

Letting a child decide for himself/herself when to potty train is smart parenting.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 804

View Results

This child is mine. 

This picture was taken two months before his third birthday. He is now 3 1/4 years old. 

He isn't potty trained. He still wears pull-ups constantly. He knows how to use a potty, and when he feels like it, he does, but that is a rare occurance.

My mother (who I really do love) says that I am being lazy by not forcing the issue with him. I say that you aren't supposed to force the issue with kids. 

Edit: Just got back to this post. It really got a lot of responses. Thanks for the helpful advice.

Just want to address one thing. DH and I do talk to DS about potty training a lot. We applaud him when he uses the potty and encourage him to use the potty. He is just the kind of kid that it has to be his idea or he doesn't want to do it. If I take him to the bathroom he won't go, he has to initiate it.

I am planning on switching him to undies at home for now. That will be for a few hours in the evening and on the weekends. When he can show that he can go for a day at home, then I will ask his daycare provider to do undies too. We have tried undies in the past and he has had 3 accidents in a row without going to the potty. She has babies at the daycare too, so I don't want to put all of that on her.

Thanks again. I really did listen and will do undies at home from now on.

-Me

EDIT: Daddy was home with him today and put him in big boy undies for the whole day. He stayed dry and clean the whole darn day.

Let's hope this is the start of something amazing!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Replies (471-473):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 87 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Didn't vote. I don't think it's bad to let the child decide, but if it gets to the point where he's 3 1/2 years old and hasn't shown interest as a parent you have to step in and say, "You're learning this."

EDIT I posted this and gave an age BEFORE reading the text you wrote and your child's age.

SECOND EDIT: LOVE his hair!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Had a dry/clean day today!

StevieMarie
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM

My daughter resisted forever then one day she decided she would do it all on her own. I got her Dora panties and told her no to pee or poop on Dora. IT worked!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)