Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PA debaters. A new wording of an old question.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Would you rather your PA tax money go toward helping a family eat or paying for day care?

Let us speculate only on 2 working moms.

Abby works full time but needs assistance with child care for her 2 childern aged 6 months and 3 years.

Susan works part time in the evening so her children (same ages) are always with a parent. They have enough money for bills but need pa for food.

If Abby cut her hours she wouldn't be able to pay their bills, and if Susan worked more hours they would need daycare as well. Which mom is more "worthy" of your tax money?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't put whether I was full or part time at a job on my résumé.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

No, she wouldn't. She'd have part-time work on her resume vs full-time. But you were also talking about Abby in that particular quote, too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Susan is also working therefore would have that same info on her resume.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Even if her job only pays minimum wage and is a dead end, it's still recent work history, experience in something and a good reference if she's a good employee.

Quoting Anonymous:

If Susan can get help for food, then yes bills would come first. If she had to choose between rent OR feeding her kids you would be correct.

Also I never said what job Abby is doing. She could also be working min wage with no future, just more hours.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Abby.  She has a future with payraises, promotions, and skill-building opportunities.

Oh...and unless you live in La-La Land "bills" are lower on the hierarchy of needs than food. 

ElitestJen
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Susan can have all the parenting choices she can afford. Abby would have be at least mediocre or she'd be unemployed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not always true. When Susan's children are in school, if she has been a fantastic employee her boss might be eager to get the ball rolling. Where as Abby might be a piss poor employee who gets passed over.

You take too much stock in stereotypes.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Employers don't promote part time workers with limited availability. The full ttime worker will get the promotion.

Susan is a whiner with no drive to be self-sufficient. And if she needs housing assistance and not food....then she's stupid, too.

Quoting Anonymous:

All jobs, even part time evening jobs. So your point is moot I guess.

Ok so now Susan is off food assistance. But needs housing assistance.

Quoting ElitestJen:

All jobs have a future. That's an excuse.

And food should always come before bills. One can live without electricity or heat. Food is required for survival.

Quoting Anonymous:

If Susan can get help for food, then yes bills would come first. If she had to choose between rent OR feeding her kids you would be correct.

Also I never said what job Abby is doing. She could also be working min wage with no future, just more hours.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Abby.  She has a future with payraises, promotions, and skill-building opportunities.

Oh...and unless you live in La-La Land "bills" are lower on the hierarchy of needs than food. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Exactly. The odds of a family at or below poverty level providing medical insurance for their children is slim to none because it would likely be unaffordable, as well as for the fact that their poverty would automatically qualify the children for Medicaid. Now, I don't know if OP is now going to come up with some one-in-a-million scenario where this isn't the case, but generally, I'd say that these children would be on Medicaid.

Quoting Anonymous:

Unlikely but okay...Susan is at or below poverty level. Why would someone in such a position choose to work only part time thus perpetuating their poverty? It seems incredibly irresponsible. Work more hours, get a better paying job, get an education (or a better one)...even if it does mean she would be utlizing daycare assistance. The goal should be to do whatever necessary to get out of poverty, no? At least Abby is working full time.

Quoting Anonymous:

No other assistance. Just food. They have insurance and such through husbands job. Both mothers are only getting what I said.

Quoting Anonymous:

The income guidelines are much lower for food benefits so I'm lead to believe Susan is worse off financially. If their household income is low enough to qualify for such benefits they are likely receiving other benefits as well...Medicaid, WIC, EITC. Perhaps if she worked more or found a better paying job she wouldn't need so much help, even if it did mean receiving child care assistance.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheQueenOfChaos
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:38 AM
To answer the question though, I wouldn't care what my taxes went too as long as they went to someone who had drive to do something with their life.

Does Susan work part time evenings to go to school? Is she working part time because full time work puts their income barely above limit? I've had friends who were no more than $20 over the limit for income. Some lost their jobs because they couldn't afford daycare and had no one to care for their kids. Others were lucky enough to have family or friends care for their kids. Where I lived the income limits for daycare assistance and food stamps were the same.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Look, at this point, it looks like you're coming up with all kinds of ways to make this carry out the way you want it too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

No, she wouldn't. She'd have part-time work on her resume vs full-time. But you were also talking about Abby in that particular quote, too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Even if her job only pays minimum wage and is a dead end, it's still recent work history, experience in something and a good reference if she's a good employee.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:39 AM
How? If she can't afford food, how will she afford daycare?

Quoting -_-:

Susan would need daycare as well? As well as foodstamps? Why would she need both suddenly? Wouldn't her hrs at work cover something?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Sorry different person only made that last comment.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Look, at this point, it looks like you're coming up with all kinds of ways to make this carry out the way you want it too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:40 AM
I just switched over to the full site a second ago and noticed that. I really wish Cafemom would allow us to distinguish regular anons from anon OPs on the text site.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this
So to answer my question, you would rather pay the daycare than the food.

Abby is technically at the poverty level too no? If she wasn't receiving the money for daycare her job wouldn't cover bills and food either.

Quoting Anonymous:

Unlikely but okay...Susan is at or below poverty level. Why would someone in such a position choose to work only part time thus perpetuating their poverty? It seems incredibly irresponsible. Work more hours, get a better paying job, get an education (or a better one)...even if it does mean she would be utlizing daycare assistance. The goal should be to do whatever necessary to get out of poverty, no? At least Abby is working full time.

Quoting Anonymous:

No other assistance. Just food. They have insurance and such through husbands job. Both mothers are only getting what I said.

Quoting Anonymous:

The income guidelines are much lower for food benefits so I'm lead to believe Susan is worse off financially. If their household income is low enough to qualify for such benefits they are likely receiving other benefits as well...Medicaid, WIC, EITC. Perhaps if she worked more or found a better paying job she wouldn't need so much help, even if it did mean receiving child care assistance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM
It does on the newer mobile site

Quoting Nicoleb9:

I just switched over to the full site a second ago and noticed that. I really wish Cafemom would allow us to distinguish regular anons from anon OPs on the text site.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured