Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

newborn wont sleep unless im holding her. please help

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Dd is 2 weeks old. She will not sleep unless I'm holding her. I'm getting no sleep because I'm up all night. I really don't want to co sleep with her, but I feel like that's my only option now. Please any ideas!?!?!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (21-30):
LittlePiggies5
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM
I co sleep with my 5 month old daughter. She will only breastfeed if I am laying down. She only sleeps for long periods of time when I'm breastfeeding laying down. I always make sure her head is on my arm, and I do not get much sleep but I get some sleep. I usually wake up every half hour because my arm is numb and then I switch sides.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM

swaddling and a swing made all the difference with my dd. She had colic as well. I agree with pp's maybe look into ways to cosleep that make you comfortable. 

Kitschy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Just take a look. That way if you do end up trying it for a night or something, you will do it safely. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

No I haven't. Maybe I should lol

Quoting Kitschy:

Have you read up on safely cosleeping?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm just worried about rolling on her or something.

Quoting Kitschy:

I coslept. Sorry I'm no help. It seems unnatural to me to sleep away from an infant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelife350
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM

try making her bed nice and warm before you put her in it. after he fell asleep i would wait for about a 20 minutes to make sure he was really asleep. if your baby wakes up when you are walking to the crib, just stop and hold her til she driffs off. the continue walking then slowly put her in her crib. leave your had on her chest for a minute so she feels the presure and warmth of your hand then after a few minutes lightly let go. she could be going through a groth spur too. is she feeding a lot more then usual? it will get better i promise. my son was the same way.  he is three months now and sleep through the night. Ask someone for help, an hour nap can do wonders. also from other post 2 weeks is way to young for cry it out

Danotoyou2
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:12 AM
2 moms liked this
This. I've coslept with all three of mine and it's one of my favorite parts of motherhood.

Quoting Kitschy:

I coslept. Sorry I'm no help. It seems unnatural to me to sleep away from an infant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:12 AM
2 moms liked this

This. I never intended to cosleep but I simply could not sleep with her far away from me...even if far away was literally in the cradle next to me bed.

I needed her in my arms, to feel her warmth, hear her breathing.

She slept much more soundly in my arms as well, and it made nursing so much easier.

OP: Just cosleep with her. She has been comfortated by the sound of your heartbeat for the past 9 months. She felt snug and secure in your womb and now that she is here, you're just putting her off on her own..I would cry all night too. She is a newborn baby, she needs her mother. 

Quoting Kitschy:

heathercm26
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM
I felt the same way. Everyone thought i was nuts but it was disturbing to not feel connected in some physical way.

Quoting littlemonaghan:

This. I never intended to cosleep but I simply could not sleep with her far away from me...even if far away was literally in the cradle next to me bed.

I needed her in my arms, to feel her warmth, hear her breathing.

She slept much more soundly in my arms as well, and it made nursing so much easier.

OP: Just cosleep with her. She has been comfortated by the sound of your heartbeat for the past 9 months. She felt snug and secure in your womb and now that she is here, you're just putting her off on her own..I would cry all night too. She is a newborn baby, she needs her mother. 

Quoting Kitschy:

penelopepurple
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM
I was scared too but once I tried it we both got amazing, much needed sleep. 15 months later I still cosleep with dd, love it, and since day one always had that incredible ability to wake up at her almost every move but still get great sleep. Its in our blood to cosleep, I feel :)
Mrs.Winchester
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM

No real advice from me.  I coslept.  I am Nannying a 10 week old right now and I can't get him to sleep unless I walk him around the house in a sling.  I feel like in my 5 hour shift I can never put him down or he's unhappy.  But the parents aren't comfortable with him crying even if his needs have been met.

Just do what feels okay to you.  Maybe you can sleep in a recliner if you're afraid to roll over on your baby.  Or get a cosleeper that goes next to your bed.

CV3
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I believe in co-sleeping as well just go for it. Trust me you wont roll over on her. I dont even think thats physically possible. I always slept cuddled with my arm around my son until he was close to a year and got to wiggly lol.

I do know a few people whose kids only slept in their carseats. My son started with short naps duing the day in a pillow on the couch and then I would wrap him up in his carseat on the floor for naps but night time was always in bed with us until he was 15mo.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)