Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

newborn wont sleep unless im holding her. please help

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Dd is 2 weeks old. She will not sleep unless I'm holding her. I'm getting no sleep because I'm up all night. I really don't want to co sleep with her, but I feel like that's my only option now. Please any ideas!?!?!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (41-50):
agrisham13mom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:21 AM
I cosleep/bed share but do your research. Try a bassinet and swaddle her. Place the bassinet right next to your bed. My kids at that age just had to be near mommy and couldn't be in the bigger pack n play or cribs. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Wrap her up in a blanket; babies are used to being in a tight space then roll up 2 blankets & put one on each side of her so she feels like she's sort of being held but on one of the blankets put the shirt your wearing on it. A mother has a smell that let's the baby know its us. It's worked with my son & even other babies in the family like my nephew & niece.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Tell that to the parents who've rolled over on their kids. Yikes!!

Quoting Retrokitty:

I co sleep. Your body knows your baby is there.
TTC2Long
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Do you roll out of bed when you sleep? Probably not. That's because your subconscious mind knows the edge of the bed is there. It's the same with your baby. For safe cosleeping, you must: not be obese, not take any drugs that might make you drowsy or impair your judgement, must not go to bed under the influence of alcohol, must bf, not ff and not smoke. If you can meet those safety requirements, you can safely cosleep.

Do NOT CIO a baby this age. Newborns are meant to want to be close to their mama. It's in their natural wiring - its a self-preservation technique.

Does she like to be swaddled? Also, make sure she's FULLY asleep before you lay her down - her hands should be limp and fists unclenched.

Hth!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm just worried about rolling on her or something.

Quoting Kitschy:

I coslept. Sorry I'm no help. It seems unnatural to me to sleep away from an infant.

G.Ruiz22
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Do you have a swing?
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm pretty sure all the documented cases the moms had something in their system. I wouldn't sleep with my son even if I just had T3s.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Retrokitty:

imnotbarbie03
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Retrokitty:

I've yet to hear of any co-sleeping injury when the parent was not impaired.

You cannot be drunk, on drugs or sleeping meds if you want to co-sleep.

Any news story I have ever read where co-sleeping was an issue, the parent was impaired.

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM
It did feel weird not having my babies right with me, even though I just wanted to sleep, I just couldn't do it. Now in the daytime I had no issues putting them down for a nap away from me, it was just at night.

Quoting littlemonaghan:

Yeah exactly. Our first night home from the hospital, DD put her in the swaddler, laid her down in the cradle and laid down. 

I just sat there looking at the cradle; he asked me what was wrong and I said I need the baby. She was quiet as can be, sleeping, but I could not have her away from me.

He tried to get me to lay down and let her sleep but no way, I needed her. Nearly pulled some of my stitches trying to get out of the bed to get to her.

From that night on she slept in my arms until she was 5 1/2 months old. lol

Quoting heathercm26:

I felt the same way. Everyone thought i was nuts but it was disturbing to not feel connected in some physical way.

Quoting littlemonaghan:

This. I never intended to cosleep but I simply could not sleep with her far away from me...even if far away was literally in the cradle next to me bed.

I needed her in my arms, to feel her warmth, hear her breathing.

She slept much more soundly in my arms as well, and it made nursing so much easier.

OP: Just cosleep with her. She has been comfortated by the sound of your heartbeat for the past 9 months. She felt snug and secure in your womb and now that she is here, you're just putting her off on her own..I would cry all night too. She is a newborn baby, she needs her mother. 

Quoting Kitschy:

I coslept. Sorry I'm no help. It seems unnatural to me to sleep away from an infant.

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM

research safe bedsharing with newborns.. there are lots of ways to safely co-sleep, but make sure you do it correctly..

In japan co-sleeping/bedsharing is the norm.. and they actually have extremely lower SIDS rates than the US. 

But I'm with kitschy.. I coslept with both of mine. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm just worried about rolling on her or something.

Quoting Kitschy:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:26 AM

So I want to stress to you She Is To YOUNG to cio.........  Try swaddling her kinda tight, try propping her up some (my ds had reflux, wouldnt eat or sleep at first).  Try the swing, the carseat, anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)