Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

CIO Method Question

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When is a good age to use this method if you want to use it? Feedback from parents that do use it plz.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM
I know the earliest recommended age is 6 months. I did CIO when my DD was 7 months on my counsellors recommendation.
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM

never, lol. 

Katenemsmom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Around ten months. Keep in mind there is a difference between fussing and balling. I use it with my own kids and daycare kids. Fussing for ten minutes while self soothing is fine. More then that or hard crying then pick up the kid and try again after you have checked over all the other things. I felt horrible today for getting frustrated with a crier. I kept asking him to tell me what was wrong. He finally fell asleep on the family room floor. When I picked him up he was burning up with a fever. No wonder he was crying so hard. Poor thing probably felt like crap.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

NEVER!! If a child is crying they need something, they dont just cry for no reason. We are their parents what are we teaching them if we let them CIO, that if they need us, we dont care, sit there and suck it up! Its a stupid method!

Sama2Mamma
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Cio is never ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM
4 moms liked this
That's sick

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm heartless I guess.

My kids it's my way from the day they're born.

They have a schedule from birth, my schedule. And yes, I do CIO with infants.

It's exhausting at first, but in a few short weeks its so much better for the kids. They, even as babies, learn our expectations as parents pretty quickly.

So, I do CIO from day 1!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Never - it is sick and detrimental to children.
TheLadyAmalthea
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I used it to get my son to sleep on his own. He was over a year old at the time. I do not think it is a good idea to use it with newborns. They cry because they need you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I never needed to do it.  My best friend did it, her daughter is 3 and to this day freaks the hell out as soon as it is time for bed.  i never did it and have never once had an issue with bed time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM
YEs you are heartless! Its a newborn, there isn't expectations for a newborn, but eat sleep poop! You are their parent not their dictator!
Quoting Anonymous:

I'm heartless I guess.

My kids it's my way from the day they're born.

They have a schedule from birth, my schedule. And yes, I do CIO with infants.

It's exhausting at first, but in a few short weeks its so much better for the kids. They, even as babies, learn our expectations as parents pretty quickly.

So, I do CIO from day 1!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN