Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

CIO Method Question

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When is a good age to use this method if you want to use it? Feedback from parents that do use it plz.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Replies (31-40):
Youngmother456
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:49 AM
I was talking about my grandmother. I assume that you would do night feedings but 50 years ago I wonder if they did.

Quoting Anonymous:

Now I never said I did that.

I got up every 2 hours to check on/feed/diaper/hug/kiss my babies.

If they were up and needed me, they got their needs met.

Then it was back to CIO until the next 2 hours were up.

Our daytime routine was different.

Quoting Youngmother456:

My 80 year old grandmother says the same thing. She would put her kids to bed at 8 and leave them until 7 the next day. I wonder if she even did night feedings.

Setting a newborn to a schedule is outdated and leaving a newborn to cry all night is harmful.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's sick

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm heartless I guess.

My kids it's my way from the day they're born.

They have a schedule from birth, my schedule. And yes, I do CIO with infants.

It's exhausting at first, but in a few short weeks its so much better for the kids. They, even as babies, learn our expectations as parents pretty quickly.

So, I do CIO from day 1!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:51 AM
I honestly don't know.

I assume some families did and others didnt.

They had bigger families back then, and I don't know if that meant babies got more/less attention than now.

Probably less.

Quoting Youngmother456:

I was talking about my grandmother. I assume that you would do night feedings but 50 years ago I wonder if they did.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Youngmother456:

My 80 year old grandmother says the same thing. She would put her kids to bed at 8 and leave them until 7 the next day. I wonder if she even did night feedings.

Setting a newborn to a schedule is outdated and leaving a newborn to cry all night is harmful.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's sick

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm heartless I guess.

It's exhausting at first, but in a few short weeks its so much better for the kids. They, even as babies, learn our expectations as parents pretty quickly.

So, I do CIO from day 1!

Youngmother456
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:56 AM
It's is really rough to visit her because everything I do is "wrong". But she means well so I brush it off.

BTW I am not against CIO and when you had kids that was ok. Since then there were studies that suggest it can negatively affect babies younger than 6 months. But for older kids it is an effective method for some kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

I honestly don't know.

I assume some families did and others didnt.

They had bigger families back then, and I don't know if that meant babies got more/less attention than now.

Probably less.

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Youngmother456:

Quoting Anonymous:

That's sick

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm heartless I guess.

So, I do CIO from day 1!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmelissa777
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:58 AM
No cio over here. I personally do not believe in it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I can't imagine letting a newborn just CIO, newborns cry because either they are hungry, need a diaper change, or need help falling asleep. They were in your confined womb for 9 months and it is totally different falling asleep in this cold bright world. How can anyone let a newborn CIO? Yes there are times when a newborn has colic or acid reflux or something, but there are ways to try and help soothe that. Granted if you are getting very worked up it is better to set the baby in the crib til you calm down, that isn't necessarily CIO it is a stress break so you don't get angry. But a newborn doesnt cry for no reason.

Now once they get older, like maybe 6 months and up, they are a bit more independent but can start to get clingy. My now almost 9 month old has been that way since about then. Sometimes I just set her on the floor to play and she cries if i walk a few steps away, then she has to come chase me down lol. If she is super tired, to the point that even when I hold her she figits and fusses, then I set her in her crib with her stuffed toys, her blanket and a pacifier in her mouth and let her fall asleep. She now falls asleep pretty easy for naps or bed. She still crys when I walk from the room, sometimes even if she is on the floor right in front of me, she pulls herself up standing against the couch crying. If she gets too upset I do pick her up, but some days she wants held all the time and I can't get anything done so I let her crawl after me around the house or her sister steps in and plays with her (a very good 4 year old sister :)

It is hard for me to not hold my baby when she cries, but there are times after the age of 6 months where they are crying just because they start going through the seperation anxiety stage. With that you kind of need to show them that you are still here, not gone forever when you leave them in the crib. In that situation you can really show them that you will be there by starting to play peek a boo and hiding toys then showing that they are still there, stuff like that. So if you set them in the crib for nap or bed and they cry, you give it a few minutes. If they are screaming bloody murder you can go back in, give a hug and kiss and put them back to bed. If its just regular crying or fussing then don't go back in, they will fall asleep. At 6 months I think it is too early to do full out CIO because of the seperation anxiety stuff, but then I never always let them CIO either...I guess it depends on what you mean by it.

I will let my almost 9 month old CIO if she is perfectly capable of following me, like when she is on the floor for playtime (most of her day, she is very busy) but I also make sure she has been fed, has a clean diaper, isn't overly tired and if she is teething I try to soothe that. She rarely cries if something isn't wrong now. I don't leave her screaming in her crib if she just got up from a nap or in the morning. I only let her CIO in her crib if she needs to sleep and nothing will help her get to sleep, sometimes she just needs to cry to fall asleep because she doesn't nap well sometimes. Anyway, those are my methods and I don't know that they would quite qualify for a full on CIO method?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I just want to say that while some mothers say CIO method works, you also need to think about what it does to your child emotionally. A child will eventually fall asleep because they just give up and their brain shuts down as a way of defending against the vulnerability of being abandoned by their parents. But their implicit memories will be that of the world that doesn't give a damn.

Mrs.Winchester
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Over 6 months.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:13 AM
3 moms liked this

I dont understand some of you mothers, all your teaching your child is if they cry, you dont give a shit! Thats horrible! If a child is crying they need something and if you do let them CIO the only reason they stop is not because they self sooth, its because they've given up on you! How anyone can let their child cry until theyve given up on their mommy and daddy Ill never know! Whoever invented this so called method needs to be locked in a room and ignored!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree x1000. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont understand some of you mothers, all your teaching your child is if they cry, you dont give a shit! Thats horrible! If a child is crying they need something and if you do let them CIO the only reason they stop is not because they self sooth, its because they've given up on you! How anyone can let their child cry until theyve given up on their mommy and daddy Ill never know! Whoever invented this so called method needs to be locked in a room and ignored!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:21 AM
 photo cartoon-eyes_zps20ad9f49.gif

Quoting Anonymous:

NEVER!! If a child is crying they need something, they dont just cry for no reason. We are their parents what are we teaching them if we let them CIO, that if they need us, we dont care, sit there and suck it up! Its a stupid method!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)