Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

CIO Method Question

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When is a good age to use this method if you want to use it? Feedback from parents that do use it plz.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Really? Listen to this woman. Your child is crying for a reason. 

Quoting Anonymous:

photo cartoon-eyes_zps20ad9f49.gif

Quoting Anonymous:

NEVER!! If a child is crying they need something, they dont just cry for no reason. We are their parents what are we teaching them if we let them CIO, that if they need us, we dont care, sit there and suck it up! Its a stupid method!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this

eye rolling 

Roll your eyes all you want, but at least my son knows that if he cries or just needs me that I will go to him and not tell him to sit and shut up!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

NEVER!! If a child is crying they need something, they dont just cry for no reason. We are their parents what are we teaching them if we let them CIO, that if they need us, we dont care, sit there and suck it up! Its a stupid method!

Bauxite-17
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I think 6 months and up is acceptable to start CIO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Never done it and never will do cio.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:50 AM
2 moms liked this
My kids are all older and no longer need CIO. I don't listen to people that don't know what they're talking about! If used CORRECTLY there is nothing wrong with CIO.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:55 AM

How old are they now? Do you think it affected them as far as trust and bonding?

I wouldn't do it before 6 months. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm heartless I guess.

My kids it's my way from the day they're born.

They have a schedule from birth, my schedule. And yes, I do CIO with infants.

It's exhausting at first, but in a few short weeks its so much better for the kids. They, even as babies, learn our expectations as parents pretty quickly.

So, I do CIO from day 1!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:02 AM
5 moms liked this

And because you let your children just scream, your some sort of expert right? There is absolutly not CORRECT way to let your child lay and cry!! We carry our children for 9 months in our womb close to our hearts, they are not meant to be pulled out thrown in a room and left to cry, its not natural, its not right, and just because you did it, doesnt make it right and it doesnt mean I dont know what I am talking about! But ther is no correct way to let a child cry, its all incorrect, a child always crys for a reason. If you use CIO and they fall asleep its because they have given up on their parents, not because they self sooth, I could never let my child just give up on me and cry themselves to sleep! How good of a parent would I be to just say shut up I dont care fall the hell to sleep!

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids are all older and no longer need CIO. I don't listen to people that don't know what they're talking about! If used CORRECTLY there is nothing wrong with CIO.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Wrong.

When the infant falls asleep after a period of wailing and frustrated cries for help, it is not that she has learned the "skill" of falling asleep. What has happened is that her brain, to escape the overwhelming pain of abandonment, shuts down. It's an automatic neurological mechanism. In effect, the baby gives up. The short-term goal of the exhausted parents has been achieved, but at the price of harming the child's long-term emotional vulnerability. Encoded in her cortex is an implicit sense of a non-caring universe.

You should really study into these things before assuming they are okay.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Omg you are so ignorant it's hilarious. CIO is not about letting a child scream. I'm not even going to waste my time trying to educate you, so have a nice day. Smh!

Quoting Anonymous:

And because you let your children just scream, your some sort of expert right? There is absolutly not CORRECT way to let your child lay and cry!! We carry our children for 9 months in our womb close to our hearts, they are not meant to be pulled out thrown in a room and left to cry, its not natural, its not right, and just because you did it, doesnt make it right and it doesnt mean I dont know what I am talking about! But ther is no correct way to let a child cry, its all incorrect, a child always crys for a reason. If you use CIO and they fall asleep its because they have given up on their parents, not because they self sooth, I could never let my child just give up on me and cry themselves to sleep! How good of a parent would I be to just say shut up I dont care fall the hell to sleep!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

BrittM1988
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I used at 9 mo with my DD and my son will be 14 months when I do it with him

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)