Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

1* F and our heater stopped working

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

About midnight, I noticed it was getting cold. I checked the thermostat- it was set to 70, but only 65* in the house, and had not kicked on in a while. I turned it up and waited- nothing. I went down to the scary basement (which means going outside, down snowy steps, and into a closet sized basement). The heater has a self lighting pilot- you can't light it yourself. I turned the furnace off then on- it turned on, pouring out ice cold heat. 

Woke DH up, but he got the same- no heat. I dug out space heaters and put one upstairs with the kids, a d one in our room (both have fail safe switches- if they over heat or get blocked or knocked down, the power kills immediately). Right now, it's down to 50 in the living room. I have all the faucets trickling, so that we don't wind up with frozen pipes as well.

it's currently 1*F witha wind chill of -10*F. 

This sucks. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Youngmother456
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:26 AM
That sucks. I cannot be much help so good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:27 AM
I'm sorry you're too far from me for me to send my hubby to rescue you from the cold :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kikibix
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Oh no.  Hope you can get it fixed fast and cheap.  It always happens on the coldest nights doesn't it? That really sucks. 

skymama10
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM
At least you're doing everything right. Try to stay warm.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM

It's only a few hours. In the morning, I will call around and see if any of the HVAC guys are available. If not, my dad will make the drive over and help out. Just an annoyance, ya know?

cali_angel_girl
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Oh man :( I hope your able to get it fixed soon.

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Oh, that would scare me. It's extremely cold here as well. Hopefully you can find someone to come fix it in the morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jers.
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Ugh - been there!  Put on hats and layers. We put big pots of water to boil on the stove and hung out in the kitchen area all day and did some cooking and baking to generate heat.  

We have two kinds of space heaters - one looks like a radiator, but it plugs in and has a thermostat.  We only use the propane heaters during a power outage and then take turns staying awake because I'm paranoid lol

Stay warm and I hope it gets fixed quickly!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Sorry. Ours is working but the nursery has 2 1/2 walls that are outside walls so it gets cold at night so I put a space heater in there. We're in Texas so it's not nearly that cold but it was so bad that without it I would put my son to sleep in his snow suit. It has all those safety features as well. The first night I was so scared that I kept going in there to check. I've had it in there for about a month so I'm more comfortable with it now. 

doulala
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I often use the oven--

GL!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)