Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm just so confused

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
I know I should mind my own business

But my friend post on Facebook about how she is in the Er because they think she has appendicitis and it might take 4 hours before they do any test

25 mins later she post "so the doctor says that my appendix could have burst any time tomorrow but they are checking the blood work again to make sure"

I'm confused because when they thought I had appendicitis they had me drink something wait like an hour then took me in for a cat scan and then I was in the Er for like another 2 hours before they told me what was wrong

They did blood work but I did not think they could tell you had appendicitis by blood work

Then she says "might have to have surgery but they arnt 100% sure yet"

Again I thought appendicitis was serious and called for surgery right away

So I'm just confused as to how any of what she says make since
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
veronicamw
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:29 AM
Maybe she is just looking for some attention
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:09 AM
When I went in complaining of shooting pains and vomiting and fever, the doc pushed around on my side, drew some blood, and had me in surgery within 2 hours. I dunno...
bluedolly01
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:16 AM
It varies from case to case. DH, DD and myself have all had appendicitis and we all presented very differently and all treated very differently with different diagnosis tools.

As far as I know though the only way to cure appendicitis is to take them out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-42-
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:20 AM
If the doctor truly thought her appendix had burst, she'd more than likely be in surgery.

When I had it, they pushed on my side, tried to get me to jump up and down(yeah right), took some blood and had me in surgery as soon as the bloodwork results were done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Sometimes when they're doing a lot of tests things can get confusing.. especially if you don't know much about medical terms.  I could see it... I wouldn't judge though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Sometimes there are strange things with the appendix... there is a type of appendix cancer that is incredibly rare... I don't know if that might have anything to do w/the blood tests. My sil ended  up w/appendix cancer and recently had part of her colon removed over it. She is still in and out of the hospital even though for the moment she is cancer free. (Fingers crossed that she remain cancer free). All of her medical issues started over her appendix "leaking." It didn't burst. Idk, I would think they would remove it, but there might be other medical reasons as to why they are waiting...

GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:18 AM

i didnt have mine removed, but at one point they thought it was the cause of my issues and they did blood work. They didn;t get into it just said what they were testing for not why and at that point i was sick enough I didnt care to ask.

I bet google knows.

GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Blood test. This allows your doctor to check for a high white blood cell count, which may indicate an infection.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/appendicitis/DS00274/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Every case is different and hospitals have different protocols. I had a student with appendicitis and the doctors waited a while to do surgery. Don't know what to tell you, but I would stay out of it. Just because you were treated one way does not mean all patients with suspected appendicitis are treated the same. The blood work checks for elevated white count.

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM
My sisters appendix was leaking and they never did surgery on her at all. Weirdest damn thing ever. She was on vacation when it happened and they ran tests, said her appendix was leaking, gave her some meds and told her to follow up at home. She did and that doctor told her surgery wasn't necessary, gave her a different medication and just kept an eye on it. That was almost 2 years ago.

My Aunt's appendix ruptured and it took them a fucking month to figure out what the problem was. She almost died waiting on them to figure it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)