Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

wwyd? amount of sleep hours

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

i have a 7 year old son.

we share a room, but seperate beds. my bed is on one side of the room, his is on the other side of the room.

lately, he's been having a HARD time getting to sleep. i mean, i'll lay him down around 8:30- do the bedtime routine, and he'll still be up. Saturday night, i forgot to put his sheets in the dryer so i told him he could sleep in my bed that night. that night, within 20 minutes, he was fast asleep.

tonight- its going on 2:30am, and he finally just now fell asleep! been laying in bed for the last 6 hrs, doing nothing- just wide awake.

the doctor says that its just a phase he's going through and he'll get out of it eventually. its not light thats keeping him up; we're in the basement. there's not a difference in temp from one end of the room to the other.

i'm seriously considering just letting him sleep in my bed from now on... and either sleep with him or take the twin. (which seriously- i dont want. i enjoy my queen lol)... but i'm unable to move him to his bed after he falls asleep. he's 70 lbs and i got a bad shoulder injury. i dont think its the difference in beds. i mean, he's had that twin since he was 2 years old. the queen, my bed, its over 10 years old, maybe almost 15! (it was my mom's before she moved to another country)

if he sleeps in my bed, then at least i know he's getting a good 9 hours of sleep. if he stays in his bed, continuing with how he's currently sleeping (or not sleeping), he's only getting 4 hrs of sleep- no naps.

wwyd, if you got this far?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:30 AM

ps: i'm heading to bed right now. i'll be back when i wake up in the morning

mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:35 AM

About 9 we had our son take Relax and Sleep from the dollar tree it has a small amount of melatonin with chamomile and valarian root - this was OKd by the Dr. He took it for a few months and then his body changed. Pre puberty strikes hahaha

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Did you try melatonin ? Its natural and it helps them sleep. My son has the same issues then I bought him melatonin and it helped a lot. We all have it in our system just some have more than others. My pediatrician recommended it and its worked ever since. Good luck

PumpkinSpice8
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:42 AM
I don't think I would start a routine of letting him sleep in your bed. Bad habits tend to stay bad habits or are really hard to break. I would let him pass through this phase in his own bed. You can try the Melatonin like the other moms said, or perhaps switch up his night time routine a bit. Have him not drink caffeine in the evening, take a warm bath, perhaps set his bedtime half an hour later or earlier (sounds silly but sometimes restless kids need their bedtimes moved up).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)