Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My one year old does housework

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies
2 moms liked this
Yup my one year old knows that she is to carry her plate to the kitchen when she's finished eating. She's been doing this since she could walk. She helps me unload the dishwasher and put groceries in the fridge. She helps feed our pets and will pick up garbage if she finds it and put it in the trash. She picks up her own toys and helps clean up messes she makes.
None of this is a battle. She is pleasant about it and knows it's just part of the day.
I'm setting the tone for how things need to go. As she gets older of course she'll be more capable of doing more to contribute and clean up after herself. We are a family and we all need to contribute to our house. The easier and faster we get things done, the more time we have to do fun things. It doesn't make sense for a kid to sit around and not be responsible for helping out and then all of a sudden one day they have to be bribed and hounded to get them to do simple household things. That is just begging for resistance. It is not a "chore" to make your bed. You slept in it, you can set it back up for the next night. It's not a "chore" to clean your own room. You got those toys out and it's no biggie to just put them back. It's not a "chore" to empty the dishwasher. You used those dishes and somehow they have to get back in the cabinets. I will gladly help her if she really needs it and in return she is often volunteering to help me clean up my messes. Then we move on and go on with our day. Amazing how that works.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:31 AM
3 moms liked this

just wait til she hits two and tell you 'no'....you'll be back here writing about how you can't control her tantrums

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:31 AM
3 moms liked this
So, what, now you want a cookie?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Both my boys have cleaned up after themselves since about 1 yr of ago also. We dont tolerate slob behavior.
fallenstars
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM
We started that early just not that early. We started around 2 but she ate in a high chair till then because she wouldn't eat unless she couldn't get up lol. Too interested in everything else lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nataliesmom2012
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Teach me your ways!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Is this your first child?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Weird. Cause I have a two year old (almost 3) and an 8 year old also. Never had any problems with them helping out and doing their part either. Why would they throw a tantrum over it? It's just part of the day and they don't know any different.

Quoting Anonymous:

just wait til she hits two and tell you 'no'....you'll be back here writing about how you can't control her tantrums

LoveMyLos
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Baha yep at 1 my dd was the cutest, sweetest, most helpful thing....as soon as she turned two, ive wanted to shave her head and look for 6's!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:34 AM

two year olds throw tantrums just because they can....for no reason other than wanting their way...

Quoting Anonymous:

Weird. Cause I have a two year old (almost 3) and an 8 year old also. Never had any problems with them helping out and doing their part either. Why would they throw a tantrum over it? It's just part of the day and they don't know any different.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Nope I have a 2 year old and an 8 year old also. I just chose to talk about my one year old because that is where it begins.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is this your first child?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN