Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should women pay more than men to get their hair done?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 70 Replies

Poll

Question: Should women pay more than men to get their hair done?

Options:

Yes ... we have more done

No ... hair is hair

Other ... please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 158

View Results

Denmark's board of equality ruled last month that price differences between men's and women's haircuts were illegal.  

The board ordered a salon that charged 100 crowns more for women's haircuts than men's to pay a fine of 2500 crowns.

The decision has sparked a discussion on gender equality over the price of a haircut.

In Christchurch, the Carlton Hair Corporation charged $25 more for a woman's haircut than a man's.

Hairdresser Cassie Law said there were "very good reasons" for the price difference.

"A man's haircut generally takes between 15 and 20 minutes. It's a lot more basic, with a quick wash and cut, " she said.

"With a woman's haircut, you have to blow-dry it and generally do more styling and treatments. It takes a lot longer and is more technically difficult."

Read more here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/christchurch-life/8208200/Should-women-pay-more-for-a-haircut

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm okay with being charged more because it takes up more of their time and materials.

AF2011
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I think so because I get my hair colored, highlighted (somtimes 2 different colors), cut, and done. Guys normally don't do that.

BambiF
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Idk I have super short hair and my hair cuts take 10-15 mins.  Maybe I should be charged for a mens cut lol

BambiF
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM
2 moms liked this

They should charge by length!  Past the ear lobe is more, then additional obviously for dyes/treatments :)

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM
3 moms liked this

I have an appointment today. The actual hair cut is only about a third of what I pay for. LOL The tip, shampoo, color, and style will be the rest.

The stylists in Denmark need to separate out their charges, then. Put an add-on fee for each item. They could learn about Americans when it comes to finding loopholes in laws.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM
I always just get a trim. It never takes more than fifteen minutes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM

The last time I got my hair cut and styled it took almost 45 minutes. A man came in around the same time and he was in and out within minutes.

When I had it colored (two separate colors ... black and red) it took well over 2 hours. 

So, yeah, I think women should pay more. 

CrazyLife1996
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:22 AM
I'm good with paying more. My appointments always last 2 1/2 hours even without anything fancy happening.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM

My hubby brought that up ... try pointing it out the next time you get yours done and see what happens. 

Quoting BambiF:

Idk I have super short hair and my hair cuts take 10-15 mins.  Maybe I should be charged for a mens cut lol

Keatonzmom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I say it depends on how much hair, length etc. Gender shouldn't matter. If I found out that my fiance was paying as much as I was on a haircut I'd be outraged! He would be spending way too much! LOL. I have thick and long hair and I'm prepared to pay more because of it!

pregnancy calendar

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)