Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter has a check up this week and I'm terrified!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 82 Replies
She is 18 months and has not gained weight according to my home scale since about 13 months.
She weighs 20 pounds. She's short in comparison with my nephew (he's 22 days younger than her, 4 inches taller and 9 pounds heavier.)
But she eats EVERYTHING, still nurses regularly, has gotten taller but no heavier.
Yesterday I noticed her pants kept falling down her butt and when I pulled them up I checked the size. I was certain daddy had put her in pants too large, but the size was 3-6 months!
I'm sick to my stomach this week worrying about her appointment on Thursday. I'm scared that her weight will signal something abnormal.
Most of her milestones are being met perfectly. She's active physically, my only other concern is her speech. She has a tongue and lip tie (evaluated nearly a year ago and due to be reevaluated soon) and she really isn't talking much. Maybe five words with regularity. I try not to compare her to my nephew but he says 30+ words already.
I'm just so nervous! Any advice or similar situations?
I'm sure I'm just doing the whole overly worrisome mama thing but seeing those 3-6 month pants falling off her really hit me hard.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

That is really about the time they start losing "baby fat" - when they start walking.  If she's getting taller, I wouldn't worry so much.

And don't worry so much about the words either.  Some kids talk later than others.  Things to help (I had one that talked really late) is to keep background noise off (no tv or music) and talk WITH her.  Ask her questions, and so on.  Point out objects and name them - try to get her to repeat the names.  But really, the tv off helps.  Some kids feel no need to talk.  And make her ask for things before you just give what you KNOW she wants.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Thank you! We rarely watch TV or have it on but my husband (he watches her while I work) keeps music playing constantly so I will suggest turning it off.
We know she understands us because we can tell/ask her something and she responds appropriately but rarely verbally.
I have been trying to coax her into verbalizing her needs even though I know what she wants but she just stares at me like come on mom, you know exactly what I want!

Quoting Not_A_Native:

That is really about the time they start losing "baby fat" - when they start walking.  If she's getting taller, I wouldn't worry so much.

And don't worry so much about the words either.  Some kids talk later than others.  Things to help (I had one that talked really late) is to keep background noise off (no tv or music) and talk WITH her.  Ask her questions, and so on.  Point out objects and name them - try to get her to repeat the names.  But really, the tv off helps.  Some kids feel no need to talk.  And make her ask for things before you just give what you KNOW she wants.

KaRaBaSsEtT
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I went through this with my oldest daughter. She was 18lbs at 18 months. She was 10.2lbs at birth. She was extremely active (walking at barely 9m) and she ate everything in site!!

I had to bring her to the doctor every 6wks for weight checks. I knew nothing was wrong with her but they made a big deal out of it. By herher 2yr check up she was 22lbs!

She turned 7 last month and is now 44 lbs and 48 inches, she is just a smaller child. Her 5 yr old sister is almost taller than her now and weighs the same lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM
When did her weight checks begin? Did she have any long spells of no weight gain?
Thanks for your input!

Quoting KaRaBaSsEtT:

I went through this with my oldest daughter. She was 18lbs at 18 months. She was 10.2lbs at birth. She was extremely active (walking at barely 9m) and she ate everything in site!!

I had to bring her to the doctor every 6wks for weight checks. I knew nothing was wrong with her but they made a big deal out of it. By herher 2yr check up she was 22lbs!

She turned 7 last month and is now 44 lbs and 48 inches, she is just a smaller child. Her 5 yr old sister is almost taller than her now and weighs the same lol

lucky35
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM

why are you still nursing,  she doesn't drink whole milk?  that will give her some fat

QuickMomma
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM
My oldest son was small like that.At 18 months he weighed 19 pounds,dr was never concerned and now at almost 5 years old he only weighs 35 pounds.He is fine and healthy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM
5 moms liked this
my son is 19mnths and does not have cows milk at all. hes not a calf hes a human and needs human milk. my son still nurses too.

op she sounds like she is growing just a petite girl. shes getting taller and streching. thats why her pants are now falling off

Quoting lucky35:

why are you still nursing,  she doesn't drink whole milk?  that will give her some fat

Myhumblestart
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM
My daughter is 3 yrs 4 months and 28lbs.So I understand.She was 20lbs at 14 months and stayed at 20 lbs until after her 2nd bday.She's probably just a small kid.I wouldn't stress it too much.Mine can still wear 12 months shorts and pants but the pants are too short.I buy her 18 months to 2t long an as take them in if needed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM

You really should have said something sooner. Don't wait for a wellness check up for these things!!!! A friend of mine's baby doesn't gain weight because she has a hole in her heart, which makes her very susceptible to sickness. A flu could kill her easily. You're better off knowing when your child has a problem than trying to ignore it. It's scary though, so good luck! 

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about the speech, my son didn't talk till he was three and now I cant shut him up.  As far as the weight thing, idk.  Could mean a lot of things, could mean nothing.  Hows that saying go?  "Worrying casts a big shadow over a small thing"...ya thats a good one...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)