Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter has a check up this week and I'm terrified!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
She is 18 months and has not gained weight according to my home scale since about 13 months.
She weighs 20 pounds. She's short in comparison with my nephew (he's 22 days younger than her, 4 inches taller and 9 pounds heavier.)
But she eats EVERYTHING, still nurses regularly, has gotten taller but no heavier.
Yesterday I noticed her pants kept falling down her butt and when I pulled them up I checked the size. I was certain daddy had put her in pants too large, but the size was 3-6 months!
I'm sick to my stomach this week worrying about her appointment on Thursday. I'm scared that her weight will signal something abnormal.
Most of her milestones are being met perfectly. She's active physically, my only other concern is her speech. She has a tongue and lip tie (evaluated nearly a year ago and due to be reevaluated soon) and she really isn't talking much. Maybe five words with regularity. I try not to compare her to my nephew but he says 30+ words already.
I'm just so nervous! Any advice or similar situations?
I'm sure I'm just doing the whole overly worrisome mama thing but seeing those 3-6 month pants falling off her really hit me hard.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mariah-1987
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM
My youngest just turned 2 and she weighs 21lbs. At birth she was 7lbs 1.9ozs. Started walking a little before 10 months and she eats all the time and drinks whole milk all the time. We just had her 2 yr well child and the ped said she is just gonna be little. She was 18lbs at 1 so in a yr has gained 3lbs. She has followed her own chart. I wouldn't worry to much and I really don't think the doc will be either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KaRaBaSsEtT
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM
She actually started weight checks after her 1yr check up. She was 20lbs that day. She didn't gain by her 15mon visit. Then she dropped. So she only gained 2lbs from she 1-2. She did get taller though. By her 3yr visit she was up to 27lbs. By 4 she was about 31. By 5 she was 34. By 6 she was 39.

She was in the 2% for a long time. She stayed steady on her curve until this year, she dropped off. She is under the average for height and weight after averaging out a little last year. The doctors did eventually realize that she us just smaller! No more worries!

Quoting Anonymous:

When did her weight checks begin? Did she have any long spells of no weight gain?

Thanks for your input!

Quoting KaRaBaSsEtT:

I went through this with my oldest daughter. She was 18lbs at 18 months. She was 10.2lbs at birth. She was extremely active (walking at barely 9m) and she ate everything in site!!

I had to bring her to the doctor every 6wks for weight checks. I knew nothing was wrong with her but they made a big deal out of it. By herher 2yr check up she was 22lbs!

She turned 7 last month and is now 44 lbs and 48 inches, she is just a smaller child. Her 5 yr old sister is almost taller than her now and weighs the same lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
themissheather
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Don't stop nursing! You can give her fats from food, such as avocado, that would be much healthier than cow's milk.

Quoting lucky35:

why are you still nursing,  she doesn't drink whole milk?  that will give her some fat

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Cow milk is bottled junk.
OP as long as she's not losing weight and meeting milestones. Docs concentrate too muck on charts and forget to look at the individual. Not every child is going to be the same. Gristmill is still better than cows milk. Avocado is a healthy fat. Tree nuts .

Quoting lucky35:

why are you still nursing,  she doesn't drink whole milk?  that will give her some fat

kfroz0415
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM

She will slim down a bit around this time, both my boys did because they started running around like crazy and neither one were big "crawlers."

The tongue tie may need clipped. My youngest had one severe enough that we had it clipped by 2 months old. He didn't even cry, just glared at the ENT. lol

As for the words, my 6 year old hardly said anything before 2, he was just quiet. Now at 6 he talks up a storm and is one of the top readers in his Kindergarten class reading at a level F already. (They only have to be at level C to pass the grade). Just keep talking to her in a normal adult voice and she will pick it up when she's ready.  

**ETA Try to stop comparing her to other children. Even siblings can be complete opposites. My 6 yr old was preemie and his lowest recorded weight was 4lbs13oz, he is now 47lbs and about 43" tall. He looks more like a 4 year old than his 5/6 year old classmates. My 2 year old was full term and his lowest recorded weight was 8lbs8oz. He is now 35" and 30lbs. Yep, he's only 8 inches shorter than his 6 year old brother. lol All kids are different and some are just smaller with a fast metabolism. Another example I have a 35yr old brother who is 5'7" and a 29yr old brother who is 6'5" I learned early that it's never good to compare kids, it only makes moms worry. lol 

Stephd710
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM
My daughters are 2 and only weigh 23 lbs each. They are pretty tall tho. They eat all day but they never stop moving so I guess they are burning all those calories. The Dr isn't concerned. They are healthy, just skinny. They are also just now starting to talk regularly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole4ray
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
As long as she is hitting milestones I wouldn't worry. My dd is almost 6 years old and barely weighs 35 lbs. She's just petite. And as far as her speech, she's still young. My 2nd dd didn't start talking until she turned 2 and now she speaks in full sentences at 3 years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

That's when most toddlers start to thin out. My 18 month old hasn't really gained any weight since about a year either. He doesn't say hardly any words either but his doctor isn't worried and neither am I.

snowpeasmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM
my son from walking age until 4 was always square on his number. by that i mean he was 30 inches and 30 pound, 32 inches and 32 pounds...etc so if she is 20 inches and 20 pounds i should think that is ok. and home scales suck at accuarte weight for babies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I have a daughter that has been diagnosed as FTT...don't be nervous, if she's hitting her milestones her brain is getting sufficient calories...just address your concerns with her ped, sometimes it's something as simple as the scale being off...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured