Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter has a check up this week and I'm terrified!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
She is 18 months and has not gained weight according to my home scale since about 13 months.
She weighs 20 pounds. She's short in comparison with my nephew (he's 22 days younger than her, 4 inches taller and 9 pounds heavier.)
But she eats EVERYTHING, still nurses regularly, has gotten taller but no heavier.
Yesterday I noticed her pants kept falling down her butt and when I pulled them up I checked the size. I was certain daddy had put her in pants too large, but the size was 3-6 months!
I'm sick to my stomach this week worrying about her appointment on Thursday. I'm scared that her weight will signal something abnormal.
Most of her milestones are being met perfectly. She's active physically, my only other concern is her speech. She has a tongue and lip tie (evaluated nearly a year ago and due to be reevaluated soon) and she really isn't talking much. Maybe five words with regularity. I try not to compare her to my nephew but he says 30+ words already.
I'm just so nervous! Any advice or similar situations?
I'm sure I'm just doing the whole overly worrisome mama thing but seeing those 3-6 month pants falling off her really hit me hard.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
LDennany
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM

My daughter is 7  She hasn't gained weight since she was 4.  She grows taller but not heavier.  She's extremely active and eats like crazy.  She can still fit into 12 month pants (obviously not length wise), we found this out by accident when a pair of my younger daughters old pants got mixed into her clothes.  (She thought they were a pair of capris, silly girl).  I would voice your concerns to your daughters doctor but you may be worrying over nothing.  Comparing children is normal.  I did it with my youngest and my oldest, turns out my  youngest daughter has a language disorder.  Again, voice your concerns to the doctor, ask LOTS of questions.  RELAX!!!

MommyLehr
by Veronica on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM
I wouldn't worry too much! My dd is almost 3 and only 24 lbs and she is just now starting to talk more.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happykitty316
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

My son's weight is a frequent issue and has been since he was a toddler.  I was told that as long as he is getting taller, there is nothing to worry about, he is growing.  If he was staying the same size and the same weight, or losing weight, we would have a problem.

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM
My 11 year old, fits in 5T, they are just short lmao. She's a tiny kid. She's healthy and active and eats regularly. She actually wears a size 7-8 length wise. Most kids their ages are in 11-12. Lol, that would almost fit me!

Certain brands run bigger to smaller depending on the brand. My girls were always small. It's ok as long as they are healthy. Sounds like yours, IS!
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM
My 11 year old, fits in 5T, they are just short lmao. She's a tiny kid. She's healthy and active and eats regularly. She actually wears a size 7-8 length wise. Most kids their ages are in 11-12. Lol, that would almost fit me!

Certain brands run bigger to smaller depending on the brand. My girls were always small. It's ok as long as they are healthy. Sounds like yours, IS!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I wouldn't be worring about speech. I own a daycare and you would be amazed at how many 2 year olds I have watched that don't speak more then 5-10 words. My son was one of them. He didn't start talking until he was almost 4. He is now 7 and  speaks very clear and has a large vocabulary.

dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I wouldn't worry abut the talking either, my daughter was also a late talker and now she is sought after for public speaking.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't be worring about speech. I own a daycare and you would be amazed at how many 2 year olds I have watched that don't speak more then 5-10 words. My son was one of them. He didn't start talking until he was almost 4. He is now 7 and  speaks very clear and has a large vocabulary.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Breast milk is fattier and healthier for her than cows milk.
She's still nursing because we are letting her self wean.
We have given her while milk probably about 10x and she won't drink it, my son wouldn't either.

Quoting lucky35:

why are you still nursing,  she doesn't drink whole milk?  that will give her some fat

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Thank you, that gives me hope!

Quoting QuickMomma:

My oldest son was small like that.At 18 months he weighed 19 pounds,dr was never concerned and now at almost 5 years old he only weighs 35 pounds.He is fine and healthy!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I didn't even think of her height slimming her waist, that's a great point.
Thanks!

Quoting Anonymous:

my son is 19mnths and does not have cows milk at all. hes not a calf hes a human and needs human milk. my son still nurses too.

op she sounds like she is growing just a petite girl. shes getting taller and streching. thats why her pants are now falling off

Quoting lucky35:

why are you still nursing,  she doesn't drink whole milk?  that will give her some fat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured