Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter has a check up this week and I'm terrified!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
She is 18 months and has not gained weight according to my home scale since about 13 months.
She weighs 20 pounds. She's short in comparison with my nephew (he's 22 days younger than her, 4 inches taller and 9 pounds heavier.)
But she eats EVERYTHING, still nurses regularly, has gotten taller but no heavier.
Yesterday I noticed her pants kept falling down her butt and when I pulled them up I checked the size. I was certain daddy had put her in pants too large, but the size was 3-6 months!
I'm sick to my stomach this week worrying about her appointment on Thursday. I'm scared that her weight will signal something abnormal.
Most of her milestones are being met perfectly. She's active physically, my only other concern is her speech. She has a tongue and lip tie (evaluated nearly a year ago and due to be reevaluated soon) and she really isn't talking much. Maybe five words with regularity. I try not to compare her to my nephew but he says 30+ words already.
I'm just so nervous! Any advice or similar situations?
I'm sure I'm just doing the whole overly worrisome mama thing but seeing those 3-6 month pants falling off her really hit me hard.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Did you ever have to do weight checks or try to put weight on her?

Quoting Myhumblestart:

My daughter is 3 yrs 4 months and 28lbs.So I understand.She was 20lbs at 14 months and stayed at 20 lbs until after her 2nd bday.She's probably just a small kid.I wouldn't stress it too much.Mine can still wear 12 months shorts and pants but the pants are too short.I buy her 18 months to 2t long an as take them in if needed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Thanks! I have put in a few calls to the pedi but they kept telling me if she's meeting milestones and not sickly then wait for her next well check.

Quoting Anonymous:

You really should have said something sooner. Don't wait for a wellness check up for these things!!!! A friend of mine's baby doesn't gain weight because she has a hole in her heart, which makes her very susceptible to sickness. A flu could kill her easily. You're better off knowing when your child has a problem than trying to ignore it. It's scary though, so good luck! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I hope fervently that I'm worrying over nothing..
The speech worries me only because of her ties, the fact that my son was an early speaker and my husband had to have speech therapy as a child.

Quoting Matriarch87:

I wouldn't worry too much about the speech, my son didn't talk till he was three and now I cant shut him up.  As far as the weight thing, idk.  Could mean a lot of things, could mean nothing.  Hows that saying go?  "Worrying casts a big shadow over a small thing"...ya thats a good one...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Thank you, that's encouraging. The women on DHs side of the family are short so we expected that but just the lack of substantial weight gain freaks me out.

Quoting Mariah-1987:

My youngest just turned 2 and she weighs 21lbs. At birth she was 7lbs 1.9ozs. Started walking a little before 10 months and she eats all the time and drinks whole milk all the time. We just had her 2 yr well child and the ped said she is just gonna be little. She was 18lbs at 1 so in a yr has gained 3lbs. She has followed her own chart. I wouldn't worry to much and I really don't think the doc will be either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I have thought of offering avocado but I've got no clue how to prepare it!

Quoting themissheather:

Don't stop nursing! You can give her fats from food, such as avocado, that would be much healthier than cow's milk.

Quoting lucky35:

why are you still nursing,  she doesn't drink whole milk?  that will give her some fat

other_mother
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM

My kids' pediatrician has never worried about weight gain as long as the kids were healthy and meeting their milestones. He thinks the whole idea we have of fattening up our children is one of the causes of obesity because kids learn from a young age to eat when they are not hungry, and it becomes an ingrained habit from a young age.

As far as speech goes, my 6 year old didn't really start talking until he was 3.5 years old. He would say a few words but really made no other effort. Then all of a sudden, he started talking in complete sentences, and now we sometimes wish he would take a break. That child talks nonstop. : )

I would be somewhat concerned about speech only because of the tongue tied issue, but it sounds like you are on top of that.

Lalalie
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM

You said she was getting taller, so that should be fine.

Don't stress too bad over that. : )

Also kids kind of have their own schedule with words, and certain other things. You can't compare two kids and expect the same of them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM
My dd didn't hit 20lbs till she was a little over 2 and her dr's never worried since she was a very healthy eater. She is now 8 and weighs maybe 50lbs which 5lbs of that is muscle since we got her into boxing a few months ago lol. She is just a small girl
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM

My LO is 2 and he his pedi is concerned about his growth, not that he's not growing but becasue he just turned 2 and is the size of a 3 yr old. My nephew is almost 2 and he still wears 12 month pants and a 2T shirt, he has been tested for all sorts of weight issues but he's perfectly healthy. Its nothing to worry about. My son wont speak and we are starting speech therapy next week but dont let it bother you, I had to have therapy when i was younger and its nothing to stress over. You just do what you can for your baby and if you have any major concerns then sk her pedi.

BTW I was one of those children who had issues gaining weight, I'm still 5"1 and 97 lbs. Not because I dont at but I'm really active ( how can you not be with a 2 yr old???) and I eat ALOT, I also have a high metabolism.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Thanks! I'm honestly very worried about the lip tie and tongue tie.
She was evaluated previously but I was highly disappointed in the examination. He didn't even look at her lip and was clearly in a rush to get us out. He said come back when she's nearly two and if she's still having problems then we'll clip then.
Well at this age that means anesthesia!! So I'm so nervous that Mt first instinct (that they needed to be clipped) will be correct, and now the procedure will be worse because he didn't do his job effectively the first time.

Quoting kfroz0415:

She will slim down a bit around this time, both my boys did because they started running around like crazy and neither one were big "crawlers."

The tongue tie may need clipped. My youngest had one severe enough that we had it clipped by 2 months old. He didn't even cry, just glared at the ENT. lol

As for the words, my 6 year old hardly said anything before 2, he was just quiet. Now at 6 he talks up a storm and is one of the top readers in his Kindergarten class reading at a level F already. (They only have to be at level C to pass the grade). Just keep talking to her in a normal adult voice and she will pick it up when she's ready.  

**ETA Try to stop comparing her to other children. Even siblings can be complete opposites. My 6 yr old was preemie and his lowest recorded weight was 4lbs13oz, he is now 47lbs and about 43" tall. He looks more like a 4 year old than his 5/6 year old classmates. My 2 year old was full term and his lowest recorded weight was 8lbs8oz. He is now 35" and 30lbs. Yep, he's only 8 inches shorter than his 6 year old brother. lol All kids are different and some are just smaller with a fast metabolism. Another example I have a 35yr old brother who is 5'7" and a 29yr old brother who is 6'5" I learned early that it's never good to compare kids, it only makes moms worry. lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)