Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter has a check up this week and I'm terrified!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
She is 18 months and has not gained weight according to my home scale since about 13 months.
She weighs 20 pounds. She's short in comparison with my nephew (he's 22 days younger than her, 4 inches taller and 9 pounds heavier.)
But she eats EVERYTHING, still nurses regularly, has gotten taller but no heavier.
Yesterday I noticed her pants kept falling down her butt and when I pulled them up I checked the size. I was certain daddy had put her in pants too large, but the size was 3-6 months!
I'm sick to my stomach this week worrying about her appointment on Thursday. I'm scared that her weight will signal something abnormal.
Most of her milestones are being met perfectly. She's active physically, my only other concern is her speech. She has a tongue and lip tie (evaluated nearly a year ago and due to be reevaluated soon) and she really isn't talking much. Maybe five words with regularity. I try not to compare her to my nephew but he says 30+ words already.
I'm just so nervous! Any advice or similar situations?
I'm sure I'm just doing the whole overly worrisome mama thing but seeing those 3-6 month pants falling off her really hit me hard.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Replies (41-50):
ToniTennille
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM

It sounds normal to me honey. My girls did the same thing and they are happy and healthy!

themissheather
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Find a soft one. Cut in half, being mindful of the large pit, and peel the flesh away from the skin. Serve. It's really that simple. They is no need to do anything more. My DD loves them. Beans, peanut butter, and coconut milk (straight or in fruit smoothies) would also be good sources of healthy fats.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have thought of offering avocado but I've got no clue how to prepare it!

Quoting themissheather:

Don't stop nursing! You can give her fats from food, such as avocado, that would be much healthier than cow's milk.

Quoting lucky35:

why are you still nursing,  she doesn't drink whole milk?  that will give her some fat

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Wow I didn't know it was that easy, obviously I don't eat avocado lol.

Quoting themissheather:

Find a soft one. Cut in half, being mindful of the large pit, and peel the flesh away from the skin. Serve. It's really that simple. They is no need to do anything more. My DD loves them. Beans, peanut butter, and coconut milk (straight or in fruit smoothies) would also be good sources of healthy fats.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting themissheather:

Don't stop nursing! You can give her fats from food, such as avocado, that would be much healthier than cow's milk.

Quoting lucky35:

why are you still nursing,  she doesn't drink whole milk?  that will give her some fat

themissheather
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Honestly, I find that locating a ripe (soft) one is the hardest part. I LOVE them, lol, so we eat them a lot in our house.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow I didn't know it was that easy, obviously I don't eat avocado lol.

Quoting themissheather:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting themissheather:

Quoting lucky35:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AHmom103
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

As long as she's getting taller, and still eats well, I wouldn't be too concerned. My 3 year old just had her checkup, and she's only gained 1/4 of a pound since her last checkup a year ago, even though she's grown 4 inches.

Sweets32285
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM
It took my son well over a year to gain a pound. He just turned 4. He was 20lbs at 4 months old. He was 33-34lbs before he was 3. He is 4 now and weighs 35. He eats a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Lol, ignorance is bliss. Educate your self before answer a question to which you obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Quoting lucky35:

BrooklynsMom11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Just had my dd's 18 month check up and I was a bit worried about her weight too. She just got taller instead if heavier. Doc said to limit juice since they fill up on that rather than eating. We dont give dd juice anyway so that's no problem. They are just really active now.
BrooklynsMom11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Oh yea, we still nurse at night too. Just wanted to give ya a high five from one "extended" nurser to another! :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM
it can happen and be normal and healthy. Some kids are just smaller than others. she is getting taller thats good. Have you tried feeding her healthy fats? Avacado, cottage cheese,....drawing a blank lol. Not much help I guess.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)