Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I being too harsh?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies

DD (3) didn't want to eat her breakfast this morning, even though she was the one who picked what she wanted. She told me her tummy was full. I said ok, but their will be no snacking until lunchtime. She just asked me for Dora fruit snacks. I told her no, but if she wanted to eat cereal (what she had chosen for breakfast) she could eat that, but nothing else until lunchtime. She is now in her bed throwing a mad fit.

Do you think it is ok to tell a 3 year old that they can't have a snack if they didn't eat their breakfast? I'm not going to let her go hungry, but I don't want her to think that she can just skip a meal and eat whatever she wants after.

I'm just feeling bad listening to her cry. I'm a softy and I am really trying to not let the girls wrap me around their little fingers. Dh says I'm way too easy on them.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

She may be testing you.  I would stick to what I said.  She will be ok not eating for a little while.  What you did is fine.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this
You're doing the right thing. I know it makes us feel guilty when they cry but kids need discipline.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piratehooker
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Stick to your guns.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
428pm
4 moms liked this

I think it's fine, I don't have a "clean your plate" rule, but I do have a "eat what I put in fornt of you or starve" rule.

WinterRosesmom
1 mom liked this
Yes I think it's fine, I do it with my kids I think it's part of being a good parent! Your not starving her! My 17 year old still does this and I tell him I'm no made of money
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

It's fine.  Skipping a meal (or even 2 or 3) won't hurt a kid that age.  They really don't need to eat all that much at that age.

mrs.Martinez201
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM
3 moms liked this
Nope that's the rule at my house... kids are go good at making you feel like shit! They are also great at testing limits... you said it stand firm and be consistent.... she won't starve before lunch
Alliemad_3
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM
3 moms liked this
It's not like a fruit snack is going to fill her tummy if she's hungry.

I have a reasonably open fruit and fresh veggie rule. Don't eat a meal and now you're hungry? Here's a banana.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM
5 moms liked this

Do NOT give in.  No, you are not being too harsh.  She will eat the cereal if she is truly hungry, and besides, she was the one who said she wanted it in the first place.  Life is not a buffet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)