Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I dont feel right doing that....

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 19 Replies
Hello ladies! I watch a little girl who just turned 1 at the end of December. Her mom told me this week that if she doesn't listen that she will spank her and put her in time out and that I need to do it as well since she is at my house from 630a-430ish pm. I have 3 children of my own my youngest being 21/2. I do spank and do time outs for mine but I don't feel that at the age of 1 it should be done. To me they don't understand why they are in time out or what it even means. What do you ladies think of this? Should I say something to the mom or just do what she says? Any advice you ca. Give will be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RLT2
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM
3 moms liked this

Just tell her you will not physically punish someone else's child. What can she say? She can't fault you for that.

clp0930
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I don't believe babies that age should be spanked. I only believe in that kind of punishment if the child can understand what they're doing wrong and that they are being punished. A one year old doesn't have that type of logic yet.

Charliesmommy11
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this
Just tell her you cannot spank her child and if she has an issue with that she can find another provider.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Tell her you don't spank other people's children. Time outs shouldn't start until the child is at least two and even then, it's only for one minute per year of age. It will not work with a one year old.
ThatsTheWayItIs
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM
That's what I was thinking ladies. I won't spank another persons child. I don't mind time outs when she's older but just not now.
HaloWithHorns78
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Do what you will comfortable doing. I'd never spank a 1 year old or someone elses child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
428pm
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I would tell her you are not prepared to spank a baby.  I wouldnt expect a babysitter to spank my child at all, let alone a 1yr old baby.  I think it VERY weird that the mom would ask someone to do that!

momof2891
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM
That type of punishment will not work on a one year old. She is learning how to do things. I would lightly tap my children on the hand if they were doing something that they didn't need to be and then I would redirect them to something that was more appropriate for them but I never spanked them or put them in time out at that age. They don't have the reasoning skills at that age to understand. Explain to her that you don't feel comfortable disciplining her child that way. If she doesn't like it, she either find a new provider or come up with a mother way to discipline her child. I doubt that she could find another provider that would agree to discipline her child like that.
Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM
This.

Quoting momof2891:

That type of punishment will not work on a one year old. She is learning how to do things. I would lightly tap my children on the hand if they were doing something that they didn't need to be and then I would redirect them to something that was more appropriate for them but I never spanked them or put them in time out at that age. They don't have the reasoning skills at that age to understand. Explain to her that you don't feel comfortable disciplining her child that way. If she doesn't like it, she either find a new provider or come up with a mother way to discipline her child. I doubt that she could find another provider that would agree to discipline her child like that.
MissMoonlight
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, I'd tell her to find a different babysitter.... She's spanking a helpless baby? Wtf!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN