Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should extremely intelligent people have to dumb themselves down for others?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 61 Replies

I've been seeing both comedic and real life situations that make me ask this. The comedic one that I think of is Sheldon on Big Bang Theory. I love that show and I love him. Obviously, he is an exaggerated character, but let's say he existed in real life....something to consider.

Also, a co-worker of mine that I LOVED working with actually left our company primarily because he was going to have a nervous breakdown if he had to continue working with so many people who were intellectually beneath him and so many women who value feelings over logic and office politics over what is correct. He worked his way up to second in authority in less than 10 years. We have people who have been here for around 20 years. Most people here hated him because he didn't slow down so they could keep up and he didn't think that "trying" and "making an effort" was merit for advancement. He believed there was a standard and if you couldn't meet it, you should be fired. Period. He also only had to see something once to master it so when there were changes in procedures, he left everyone in his dust while he carried on like a pro and everyone else struggled to understand whatever the new concept was.I actually agreed and got along well with him and I find myself having the same frustrations here.

I have also seen situations where there are huge problems because someone is extremely intelligent and intellectually above the majority of the people they are around. I am not referring to being snobs or being uppity. They are just being who they are and it is unnatural to them to be below a particular intellectual plain.

Now here's my thought process....Being intelligent (last I checked) is a desirable attribute. It seems to me that everyone else should try to attain the highest degree of intelligence as possible rather than intelligent people being expected to be less intelligent. I'm just saying that while people feel bad when less intelligent people struggle to keep up, they forget that it's just as frustrating for extremely smart people when they are not understood or when they feel like it's being held against them that they are smart. I'm wondering if political correctness is wrong here.

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
garnet83
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM

BUMP!

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Do I think so? No. Will the majority of the people here think so, or claim that intelligent people are snobs or whatever? Oh heck yes. Unfortunatly, people have started to glorify stupidity, and give people that make poor choices the delusion that they are victims.  Pathetic really.

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Our public schools have been "dumbing down" for years. Parents plug their kids into electronic gadgets so they don't have to parent. And some college students really believe that  a  "C" is a Degree". SMDH

bullemhead
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Too many people are threatened by someone of superior intellect.

garnet83
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM

You bring up an interesting point that I'll elaborate on and pose a question. What is to motivate our society to achieve superior intellect if willful ignorance is rewarded and catered to and if those who are superior are held back from advancement so as not to intimidate or offend someone else?

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Do I think so? No. Will the majority of the people here think so, or claim that intelligent people are snobs or whatever? Oh heck yes. Unfortunatly, people have started to glorify stupidity, and give people that make poor choices the delusion that they are victims.  Pathetic really.

hippiemom45
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I had to dumb myself down for years. Now I don't. Bc I cant take it anymore
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrssummerlin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this
My DH is very much like your former coworker.

I always feel bad for him when I hear him speaking to someone over the phone or at work because he does dumb it down a LOT for others and I know it's hard for him.

He did a fantastic job of mastering the "dumbing down" skill while in the military and it has helped him to advance quickly in all of his work because he does the job overly officently, but is still able to affectivly communicate with clients and coworkers about what has been done and how.

Over the years though his tolerance for this has gone down a bit because he describes it as talking to a toddler... We don't even talk to our 4 year old like this. She's also extremely intelligent and is talked to like a much older child rather than a 4 year old.

This has nothing to do with this post really, but it just popped into my head. Her teacher actually made a comment about that the other day, she claimed that our DD is the only child in class that doesn't normally have a meltdown when being talked to about any wrong doing and it being a refreshing change for both teachers in the room.

To answer the question though, no, I don't think that intelligent people should have to dumb down for anyone, I think that others should strive and push themselves to become more intelligent.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Unfortunately, I do not have an answer. I wish I did, as I hate the fact that my children will be inheriting a world that is over populated with entitled simpletons that think being ignorant is cool. It makes me so sad.

Quoting garnet83:

You bring up an interesting point that I'll elaborate on and pose a question. What is to motivate our society to achieve superior intellect if willful ignorance is rewarded and catered to and if those who are superior are held back from advancement so as not to intimidate or offend someone else?

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

happy2bmom25
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I believe that when you are communicating a thought, idea or directive to someone, you must speak in their language.

Compare it to being bilingual. If you are able to speak someone else's language, then you should.

My husband is constantly using words that are not familiar to others. I often ask him, does so and so know that word, or that phrase? He drives me nuts...and he is not highly intellectual he just has an area of expertise that many others do not have. He believes that if people do not understand what he is saying, then they will ask. Many times people don't bother though!

garnet83
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM

it's true.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Unfortunately, I do not have an answer. I wish I did, as I hate the fact that my children will be inheriting a world that is over populated with entitled simpletons that think being ignorant is cool. It makes me so sad.

Quoting garnet83:

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN